is an internal step into bathroom ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am converting the roof of our bungalow to accomodate 2no. bedrooms with ensuites. The roof centre of the roof had previously been converted into a room but the first floor joists were installed above the orginal ceiling joists giveing a total depth of 320mm. The span for the new ensuite only needs 200mm joists which i can sit parrallel to the ceiling joists, giving a 120mm difference. I could lift the joists to the same height but this would seriously impact on the usable space left due to limited head room. Question is, am i allowed to install a step like this or does building control restrict this eg consider it a trip hazard. Any help appreciated.
thanks

Sponsored Links
AFAIK it's generally preferred to have at least 3 steps, so the change in level is apparent.

They might allow it as it's an en-suite bathroom rather than an ordinary room.

I know this is a bit OT but I have several friends who live in the Netherlands and the floor level of their bathrooms is about 100mm higher than the landing and bedrooms with a step at the bathroom door, this seems normal practice over there, I have no idea why.
The first time I used the bathroom in a dutch house I tripped over the step as I was not expecting it.

Sponsored Links
IMO just make sure that the step cannot ever become slippery because of steam.

For the information of others, i have now spoken with building control about this issue and their comments were as follows.

since we as the occupants will be familiar with the step it is allowable so long as the door opens outwards and that the step is no more than 220mm.

thanks for the help and hopefully this helps if anyone else has a similar problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back