Is it a well, a drain, a cistern or an air raid shelter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

My first post on this forum, so I hope I'm doing things right.

Whilst renovating some outbuildings in my home, which used to be a farm, I've come across something strange.

It's a 5ft by 3ft brick lined shaft going down beneath the floor. It's been filled with rubble. There are the remains of a timber frame around it with big hinges suggesting the presence of an old trap door.

The building in question was formerly an old cottage from the 1600s which burnt down in the 1860s.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Andrew

Sponsored Links
photo

photo

Is the floor of the room timber? Or a replacement of concrete

Could it have been an inspection pit for working on vehicles?

One possibility is a priest hole
Wikipedia said:
Priest hole is the term given to hiding places for priests built into many of the principal Catholic houses of England during the period when Catholics were persecuted by law in England, from the beginning of the reign of Queen Elizabeth I in 1558.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

The floor next to the shaft is stone flags. The hole was just filled with rubble and concreted over.

Here's a couple of photos. All thoughts welcomed.

6yrwm.jpg

gu0c1.jpg

Why not dig down a bit and find out?

But beware - that's where the bodies were buried :LOL: :LOL:

Hiya

Well, I've dug down - and reached the bottom. It only goes down 3 or 4 feet and I then I hit brick.

I can only conclude that it was some kind of cold store for food. There were the remains of a large marble slab near the bottom. I reckon someone tried to get it out but broke it in the process.

I was hoping for a cellar. Looks like I might just fill it in again. I can't think of a reason to keep a cold area.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers

Andrew

is it in a place where a vehicle could have been driven over it?

Abarnes i reckon youre spot on, it sounds like a root cellar, used for keeping veg during the winter. Dont fill it in for gods sake! It should keep a pretty constant 12 ish degrees all year round which makes it perfect as a wine cellar. Also good for keeping the christmas turkey etc etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back