Is it bad to set boiler radiator temp too high?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a Potterton Pro Max Ultra Combi boiler.
We have pretty much always had the radiator set to around 76c
I happened to be looking at a site recommended settings and I think it said between 60c – 70c and if higher than this might lead to it not entering condensing mode.

So would that be the case if I have had mine set to 76c, and what does that actually mean?

Would I be best setting mine a little lower, to around 68c?

Regards
James

Sponsored Links
The lower you can set it and still be comfortable then the cheaper it is to run, mine is set at 46C and the house is very cozy

If you set it high it will use more gas but you home will heat up quicker.

If you set it too low, you will save on gas but your home will heat up slowly.

Best temp is 55c

How meaningful or rather helpful are the temperature settings on boilers in some homes?

A couple of years ago a worked in a house that the customer had just purchased. At that stage, none of the rads had been balanced yet, but if the combi heating dial wasn't set to the highest, it was cold upstairs. TBH, I am a decorator, not a plumber and it may be the case the new rads exceeded the capacity of the boiler.

Perhaps the current government drive to tell people to turn down the dial should be accompanied by advice on balancing rads. I am not being critical of the government, they don't want to confuse people but perhaps they could explain things in more detail rather than assuming that people are only capable of dealing with sound bites.

Sponsored Links
A good installer/service bod should set the temp on the boiler and advise on balancing.

My old non condensing WB 240rsf boiler had a temp dial for heating 0 to 5 i left it on 2 always and rads used to heat up in 20 mins downstirs, upstairs a few mins later. The new combi boiler takes longer to heat up.,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back