Is it damp or is it subsidence? Or both?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! My Victorian mid-terrace house has developed any cracks - none of them very big or deep - over the past few years. The ones in the walls and ceilings I think I can safely attribute to general movement appropriate to a house of this age. What's concerning me is that floorboard, mainly on first floor seem to be buckling or getting further apart. The skirting at the bottom of the stairs there's a join that is getting wider.

In the living room the floor (which is carpeted) seems a tad too springy and in cold weather very cold to touch and possibly ever so slightly damp (hard to tell). The skirting boards are also coming away from the wall in downstairs rooms.

Things that have happened to the house recently are as follows:
- new roof (last summer)
- repointing of chimney breast/parapet wall
- next door have had a side return extension with double depth foundations

I'm sure this isn't enough info but looking for ideas as to what the problem is before I embark on a whole house re-decoration

Sponsored Links
yes, London and on a hill. one neighbour is at the bottom of the hill and has had two lots of underpinning (once for the back of the house and 2nd for the recent side return build). Apparently clay soil (but I would say it's less so towards the surface).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back