is it flow, pressure, pipe size or a stored pump issue??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With the risk of suffering an attack by certain memebrs I've decided to ask for assistance on getting my head around a problem that has been presented to me by a mate of mines company that has recently completed a refurb.

The house in question has 2bar water pressure at the water main and only 1.2bar at an outside tap where measured. The water pressure measured at the outside tap on a neighbours property was 1.8bar. As far as I know the flow rate hasn't been determined.

The pipe from the meter to the house is an old 15mm copper pipe, then it's been upsized to 22mm poly which goes around the house before eventually going upstairs to feed the unvented cylinder.

The main stop cock is upstairs just before the unvented cylinder so the cold then runs back downstairs after the pressure reducing valve feeding the cylinder, there are no other cold water draw offs before the stop cock.

The problem is a poor flow rate/low pressure at the cold and hot taps throughout the large 4 bed, 1 bathroom, 1 en-suite and 1 wet room pad.

I am battling around in my thumping head some of the following questions in order to obtain the best possible solution for him.

1/ Is there an issue going from 15mm supply to 22mm Poly that would effect pressure/flow?

2/ Is there an issue with the 15mm pipe before joining to the 22mm Poly?

3/ Is the issue a flow issue at the draw off points?

4/ Should the 15mm copper pipe that feeds into the house been upsized to 25/28mm?

5/ Is 2bar an acceptable pressure at the water main?

6/ How can the water pressure be increased?

7/ Is the setup in the house wrong and an unvented cylinder should never have been fitted?

The whole flow v pressure battle is doing my head in so I shall call upon the greater expertise of some of you if you could be so kind to offer any assistance.

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back