Is it load bearing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 1930-50's build. It has separate toilet/bathroom upstairs which I want to knock through.
The doors are next to and perpendicular to each other. The bathroom door is attached to a stud
wall which joins the toilet and bathroom.

I was just in the process of taking out the door to the bathroom (which I want to move 2 foot
forward) when I decided to check on the rafters. I went in the attic and can see that a rafter
appears to pass over the doorway then is seamed in "mid-air" with the next rafter; there is no
wall, stud or brick, below this overlap. There are however walls to the left and right of this
overlap which is where the adjacent rafters overlap.

Is it safe to remove the door frame and stud wall? Should I put the new door in first so there
is support for the rafter?

Ted.

Sponsored Links
Camera's broke :(

Anyway, I just happened to speak to a neighbour who said they had done the same thing without any problems. From the looks of it, once I move the door forward the rafters will by lying on the new frame.

I'll let you know if I have a roof in a week!

Good news.

Moved the door frame. Chiselled out a channel in the ceiling, nailed a beam to the overlapping rafters and supported with a couple of studs. No roof collapse yet!

Sponsored Links
Be patient Ted. Structural failure often occurs over a long period of time. It could take months or even years before the lack of support and subsequent inevitable collapse becomes apparent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back