Is it possible that this government is doing something bent yet again?

• Thread starter Deleted member 174758
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 174758

From the i newspaper, this article appears to show that we have given Russia's second bank a get out of jail card when it comes to allow it to continue to transfer Russian assets for another month, albeit very discretely. Well done! <sarcasm>

No wonder an anti-corruption activist who has just managed to escape Ukrain attacked Johnson at this morning's press conference in Poland:

She reminds that Britain (amongst others) guaranteed Ukrainian security under the Budapest Memorandum (1994 - 1:45 in the video). She says, rightly that "...you are talking about more sanctions, Prime Minister, but Roman Abramovich is NOT sanctioned, he's in London, his children are not in the bombardments, his children are there in London...". Surely, I cannot be alone in being deeply, deeply ashamed of this corrupt Prime Minister and his ineffectual government, especially after they announced sanctions against just three Russian oligarcs last week. This prompted Layla Mora MP to use Parliamentery privilege to name some 35 Russians on 23rd February, "who Alexei Navalny and his team named as key enablers over a year ago".

As at today (Tuesday 1 March) "...the U.K. named five oligarchs who will be added to the list of Russians banned from entering Britain and prohibited from doing business with U.K. firms: Denis Bortnikov, deputy president and chairman of VTB; Kirill Shamalov, the ex-husband of Putin’s daughter Katerina; Petr Fradkov, chairman and chief executive of Promsvyazbank (sanctioned earlier this week); Elena Georgieva, chair of the board of Novikombank, which bankrolled Rostech; and Yury Slyusar, director of the United Aircraft Corporation." (Source: Politico)

We are now beyond this country being viewed as a laughing stock and are rapidly approaching the point where many people (at least in Europe) regard as corrupt, untrustworthy, deceitful and dishonest.

On a lighter note, the Spanish authorities are considering impounding Russian-owned super yachts, whilst one crew member on Alexander Mijeev's yacht decided not to wait and took matters into his own hands. I believe the Spanish authorities have now released the man

Note: If you respond to this be very careful not to write anything that you cannot substantiate by referencing respected sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Which rags did you see that in? Oh yeah, the not-so-independent Independent. These days, not so dependable on issues of Russia....

Not the Independent, but the i - not the same news paper at all. Please read what is written, not what you want it to be. A couple of other sources have it, however as they are behind paywalls there's no point in quoting them. It has also been mentioned in other sources, but if you prefer it, this is an original document issued by HMG (Office of Financial Sanctions Implementation,
HM Treasury)

I needed to talk to a guy who used to be a currency trader to make head or tail of that, but he agrees that what the i says is substantially correct

Last edited by a moderator:
I much prefer the news from Woopert Murdoch funded sources. The George Soros funded sources are a little bit too laid back for me.

Who funds the i ?

Sponsored Links
Believe it or not (since 2019) The Daily Mail and General Trust, which owns the Mail on Sunday and MailOnline. Lord Rothermere, the chair of DMGT, said that the paper would maintain its politically independent editorial style. AFAIK it has so far. What it isn't, however, is right wing, carpet munching and frothing at the mouth (so in othyer words it's not The DM light). Nor is it trendy-Islington leftie woke like the Grauniad has become. If it ever edges either way I'll stop buying it and rely on The Eye (passim)

Russia: who is on the sanctions lists - at a glance | Banking | The Guardian

The EU haven't sanctioned VTB bank at all according to the Guardian. The UK and the US have sanctioned Sberbank which is the largest Russian bank, the EU has not, noboby has sanctioned Gazprombank.

The UK and US sanctions are certainly extensively more far reaching than any EU sanctions, had the EU not been shamed into it by the UK and US I doubt they would have sanctioned any banks at all.

The situation is fluid and will change but at this point in time the UK (and Boris) can hold their heads high.

She reminds that Britain (amongst others) guaranteed Ukrainian security under the Budapest Memorandum (1994 - 1:45 in the video). She says, rightly that "...you are talking about more sanctions, Prime Minister, but Roman Abramovich is NOT sanctioned, he's in London, his children are not in the bombardments, his children are there in London...". Surely, I cannot be alone in being deeply, deeply ashamed of this corrupt Prime Minister and his ineffectual government, especially after they announced sanctions against just three Russian oligarcs last week. This prompted Layla Mora MP to use Parliamentery privilege to name some 35 Russians on 23rd February, "who Alexei Navalny and his team named as key enablers over a year ago".

She's effectively asking him why he hasn't started WW3, that decision is way above his pay grade. Rest assured though. when it does kick off Britain will be at the forefront.

Really? Well we haven't done well, so far. Before we pat ourselves on the back, we need to realise just how little we have done since the early 2000s. The comments she makes about us and the USA not fulfilling our obligations under the Budapest Convention to protect Ukraine are very valid. Or do you think that doing nothing after the 2014 annexation of Crimea was a valid political decision. We could have done something about this Russian money, then. It wasn't as though other European nations weren't aware of the corruption of the body politic and financial institutions in the UK - it gas been common knowledge for a decade or more

The comments she makes about us and the USA not fulfilling our obligations under the Budapest Convention to protect Ukraine are very valid.

You do know that the Budapest Convention is a treaty to address internet and computer crime don't you?

Russia: who is on the sanctions lists - at a glance | Banking | The Guardian

The EU haven't sanctioned VTB bank at all according to the Guardian. The UK and the US have sanctioned Sberbank which is the largest Russian bank, the EU has not, noboby has sanctioned Gazprombank.

The UK and US sanctions are certainly extensively more far reaching than any EU sanctions, had the EU not been shamed into it by the UK and US I doubt they would have sanctioned any banks at all.

The situation is fluid and will change but at this point in time the UK (and Boris) can hold their heads high.
They did that about 10 minutes after your post. Are you sure you shouldn't have Ursula Von de Leyden as your icon?

if we really have given them 30 days notice then we aren't doing much.

I've noticed a small ripple of appeasers saying Ukraine should just surrender.

Enough to cause a 30% drop in the ruble and a run on banks.
The we that generated a 30% drop is a lot larger than the 'we' in the UK. The EUs sanctions have been wider reaching and harder than ours overall. The US and the EU are the big forces, we're a minor player. Except for the sheer volume of Russian money that we handle.

The EUs sanctions have been wider reaching and harder than ours overall. The US and the EU are the big forces, we're a minor player.

Oh really, where do the bulk of currency swaps transact in Europe? Paris?, Frankfurt?, Amsterdam?, Brussels?

London a minor player in bringing down Russian finance?, give yer head a shake man.

The EUs sanctions have been wider reaching and harder than ours overall.

No, it's only at the EU's request that bank sanctions have been partial and targeted rather than total, whatever you choose to believe, the EU still need Russian gas for the time being.

Oh really, where do the bulk of currency swaps transact in Europe? Paris?, Frankfurt?, Amsterdam?, Brussels?

London a minor player in bringing down Russian finance?, give yer head a shake man.

No, it's only at the EU's request that bank sanctions have been partial and targeted rather than total, whatever you choose to believe, the EU still need Russian gas for the time being.
If we do anything then we might have an effect. But if we're delaying everything for 30 days then we're doing ****.

Abramovich is my yardstick. If he's free to come and go and spend his money then we're not taking it seriously yet.

Sponsored Links
Back