Is it the sludge??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :D

I have a problem with my radiators not working very well.

When the hot water is switched on, the radiators do not work at all, even when the heating is switched on. The radiators only work when the hot water is turned off, and when I say they work, they are warm at best, they are certainly not hot. They are definitely warmest (still not hot) at the top of the rads and they are pretty cold at the bottom. I have seen on the internet that this will be due to the sludge.

I have opened the valves on each of the rads and the water that runs out is brown.

I know that there is definitely sludge in there but I really do not want to pay hundreds of pounds to have them flushed out. I have watched a couple of YouTube videos on how to flush each radiator out and it definitely looks like a job I could do, I just don't want to go to all of that effort if that is not the main cause (being as the rads are stone cold when the hot water is on).

The boiler has been serviced and the hot water works perfectly fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Josh

Sponsored Links
It's alright flushing the rads but how about the boiler and pipes if you are going to flush then do it right.

Could be sludge, but could be pump. Might be worth checking diverter as well.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, we had a problem with the radiator system a few years ago and a retired plumber came to have a look at it and all I think he did was put inhibitor into the radiator in the kitchen (closest to the boiler), he charged £20 for the job but unfortunately I have no way of getting in touch as he moved houses and nobody knows where to!

Is this a possibility of doing or a big no no?

Sponsored Links
If all he did was put inhibitor in then us not be too sad that you're unable to contact him.

Haha but it worked for a few years though!

Remember, if it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back