Is Leadmate Any Good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure I won't be the last to post on here as a result of Storm Ciara!

It seems I have a leaking roof. Having got rained on inside the kitchen, I nipped up into the loft space to see what was what and found lots of water running down the outside walls and onto the kitchen ceiling.

The house is a two-storey house with a larger downstairs than upstairs. The kitchen is in the single storey part of the house with a pitched roof above it and stepped lead flashing onto the side of the "main" house. It's obvious that this flashing is to blame as I found water running vertically down from roof level, aligned nicely with the bricks.

I haven't gone up on the roof for a proper look however from a step ladder I can see the pointing above the flashing is missing in significant sections and actually where the pointing has come out I can't see any wedges to hold the flashing in place either.

The flashing is a really tidy job, one of the best I've seen, and still looks in good condition, there are no signs of cracking etc. and the bit at the bottom that I could reach from the steps is still nice and pliable. So I was thinking I'd probably just repoint it myself rather than call a roofer.

Firstly, how often would you expect to see a wedge on a stepped flashing? I see you can get v-shaped clips now so I'm inclined to buy some of these and re-wedge it while I'm at it.

Secondly, is Leadmate any good as an alternative to cement pointing? I know cement has a tendency to fall out as it never sticks properly to the lead, whereas Leadmate claims to much more adherent. Obviously it's a more expensive way of doing it but if I factor in the amount of time it would save versus my slow and obsessive pointing skills, it feels worthwhile if it's a good product.

Any other advice?

Sponsored Links
every 400mm - 500mm. centres.

Leadmate works fine in a clean chase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back