Is lilac a danger to my building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A lilac plant is growing next to my building. It is not growing at the foundations but is growing in the steps that lead up to our neighbour's house. Consequently, it is growing adjacent to our wall and is about 2 metres above the foundations.

The plant is only about 1m high but has been cut back a number of times so that the trunk has become quite large.

Is this a concern in terms of brickwork and the structure of my house and what should I do about it?

Sponsored Links
Lilac can be a problem plant.

The problem being that it has strong and vigorous roots which have a frequent habit of suckering up all over the place. This can cause a hassle with concrete and foundations. However, at a metre tall you wont be having too many problems for a while, but if you let it grow it could cause major hassle if a few years time. I have a lilac that was in a similar position. I dug it up and placed it a much more sensible distance away from my walls! Lilac doenst mind being moved too much , especially if you do it in the winter months when it is dormant. Perhaps you could suggest this to your neighbours?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back