Best material for a tall screen...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into this house a few weeks ago, with a row of 20 or so very badly overgrown Leylandii along a bank at the rear. They’d never ever been trimmed (since 1994), so were beyond maintenance now.

I got the tree guy to kill them by stripping all the branches off, but leaving the trunks, which I could then use as the main supports to build a high screen between my neighbours and me.

So what I plan to do is staple either sheep wire or plastic mesh all along between the trunks, to make a ten foot high framework, then grow honeysuckle, clematis montana etc up it.

Unfortunately the tree guy misunderstood my instructions, and lopped a couple of the trunks down to 6’ before I managed to stop him – I’m thinking pyracantha to fill those gaps.

Anyway, my question is… would I be better to use sheep wire (galvanised steel) or plastic mesh? The sheep wire is probably stronger, but will rust in time… the trellis probably not as strong, but theoretically could last forever.

What I don’t want is to spend 10 years growing a magnificent screen, only to see it all collapse…

sheep.JPG

mesh.png

Thoughts please, from anybody who has actual experience of using these materials long term?

Sponsored Links
the plastic stuff doesn't last for ever. It degrades in sunlight, goes brittle, cracks and breaks.

you are likely to get complaints as you need planning to go higher than 2m
yes its a temporary structure yes its plants that are exempt but the combination may cause upset and problems :rolleyes:

you are likely to get complaints as you need planning to go higher than 2m
yes its a temporary structure yes its plants that are exempt but the combination may cause upset and problems :rolleyes:

Thanks, that's useful information. But it really only affects me and the people directly on the other side - and she almost cried tears of joy when I moved in and told her I was going to take the trees down - their branches were totally covering her garden for God knows how many years. However big this gets in time, it'll be a vast improvement on that, so I'm hoping there will be a bit of good will there!

That being said, maybe I'll go up 2M at first - it'll take at least a couple of years for the plants to go above that anyway. Add the rest in later...

Sponsored Links
Sheep netting, when it does rust which which it shouldn't do for many years, is where the zinc coating has been damaged , usually by banging the staples in too hard..I have netting around a paddock since 1986 and no rust on it.
litl

yes i agree hence my comments about temporary ect but could cause problems if it doesnt look temporary enough
No again. Temporary or permanent is also irrelevant. There is no law (planning or otherwise) to prevent anyone growing a hedge as tall as they like. However action can be taken by a council under the Anti-social Behavior Act if someone does complain (having paid a fee) and the council concur with the complainant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back