Is my boiler going to explode?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vaillant EcoTEC Plus 824. It's less than 2 years old.

I've noticed that when the radiator (CH) symbol starts flashing the boiler starts making a loud droning noise but immediately stops when the symbol stops flashing.

I'm assuming this might have something to do with the pump but can this be normal or does it need looking at? Is there anything I can do myself?

Incidentally, the bar is 1.9 which is a bit high isn't it?

Thanks and hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
So did you have the boiler serviced at the end of the first year?

If so its covered by the warranty and that will be the best solution for you.

I always recommend calling the installer first in case its faulty installation or dirt in the system.

Tony

No! It hasn't been serviced yet. We moved in just over a year ago now and with so many things going on, it's one of those things that completely slipped my mind!

Vaillant gives a 2 year warranty but even if it is still within that time I'm sure it's void now due to the lack of service.

Any recommendations and/or advice on who to use and whether a service contract is worth it regarding its age?

Thanks again.

Most of us don't think much of service contracts except for people who have problem boilers like Kestons, Ideals and Saunier Duvals.

A good independent would usually be far cheaper.

But I suppose you would not bother to get him to service the boiler either.

We come faster and sometimes charge a little less for those customers who we see as loyal and get us to service their boilers every year.

"Saw you in Yellow Pages. My boiler has broken down today, what time can you come? No, I have never had it serviced!" Thats the kind of call we may put at the bottom of the list to attend!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thank you.

An Independent engineer it is then.

I do intend to have my boiler serviced every year - As I've said, with so many things happening I completely forgot about the annual service.

I have no doubt that I've forgotten about other things too which I will be reminded of in the same fashion!

Thanks again.

Every time you turn on a hot water tap think of your faithful boiler and when it next needs servicing.

Same when you get in you r car think when was water/oil last checked?

Is MOT and Insurance up to date?

Tony

Sounds like auto bypass needs adjusting, unfortunately this is inside boiler.

Not an item normally looked at on a service visit.

Every time you turn on a hot water tap think of your faithful boiler and when it next needs servicing.

Same when you get in you r car think when was water/oil last checked?

Is MOT and Insurance up to date?

Tony

Give the guy a break Tony. He's already explained he's just moved in, and that he is going to have it serviced regularly.
As Simond sugests, an average "service" is not the panacea that you seem to think.

Give the guy a break Tony. He's already explained he's just moved in, and that he is going to have it serviced regularly.

As Simond sugests, an average "service" is not the panacea that you seem to think.

You say "just moved in".

But he says "moved in just over a year ago".

Plenty of time to get a boiler serviced particularly when we are less busy during the summer.

Either way I have never had a rollicking from a garage for being late having my van serviced.

[/QUOTE/]Plenty of time to get a boiler serviced particularly when we are less busy during the summer.[/QUOTE]

I suppose relying on London Transport is a hindrance to doing more than 2 jobs a day

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back