Boiler turning on with cold tap usage

According to Vaillant the code that runs on my boiler after cold water tap used is “pump overrun following a hot water demand”
That’s correct if you’re running a hot water tap, which is fed from the cold and will only happen after a hot water tap has finished running. You’re staying it’s firing after cold water usage alone - are we correct in saying this?

Sponsored Links
That’s correct if you’re running a hot water tap, which is fed from the cold and will only happen after a hot water tap has finished running. You’re staying it’s firing after cold water usage alone - are we correct in saying this?
Yes - after cold water tap in utility room is run and switched off but it only happens occasionally, not always and lasts a couple of seconds.

Yes - after cold water tap in utility room is run and switched off but it only happens occasionally, not always and lasts a couple of seconds.
Then it’s as has been diagnosed - trapped air in hot or cold pipe or dead leg in the system.

trapped air in hot or cold pipe or dead leg in the system.
Does a expansion vessel act as a "dead leg" ?

Does it push water backwards through the boiler's flow sensor when pressure in the cold water feed drops below the pressure in the the expansion vessel due to a cold water tap being opened. ?

Sponsored Links
Does a expansion vessel act as a "dead leg" ?

Does it push water backwards through the boiler's flow sensor when pressure in the cold water feed drops below the pressure in the the expansion vessel due to a cold water tap being opened. ?
I don’t actually know why it does it, my thought would be movement caused in the pipe causing pressure fluctuations and mimicking that of a hot tap being opened

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back