Is my building safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
You can tell its raining outside as im posting lots of questions today :)

I have built a summerhouse which is more like a mini house/annexe. Ive never built anything like this before and it was a bit of a father son project. We shall use it for relatives to stay in when they come over and general summerhousey use.

We removed alot of trees, mainly connifer type trees, about 3 were huge trunks and have been pulled out by the digger. There was a row of around 15 connifers around 15-20ft tall were chopped and the trunks remain down one side of the building around 1metre away.

We then dug down around 75cms, plot size of roughly 7.5m by 4.2 ish metres. I dug a trench about a spades depth all around the perimeter and filled with concrete. We then using one of those giant pogo stick style whacker plates put in around 2-3tonnes of type1 MOT (pink angular stuff). We made some shuttering and poured a 6inch thick slab of gen 1 footings mix. After this we built a tanking wall (standard 100mm building blocks laid on their side). Then a single skin wall (100mm blocks all the way upto 2.5metres). At around 1.8metres up the wall we put mortar joist hangers on the inside of the wall and created an attic/upstairs section. We added a wall plate to the top of the wall and made a pitched roof with attic style trusses.

The whole building was wrapped in sark-it and alot of tanking slurry and bitumen paint was used on the subsctructure.

I know its difficult to say over an internet forum but does this building sound safe to you? It has been standing for nearly 2years now but has not had alot of use. My main concern is that I didnt use piers along the long section of wall and the fact it is single skin. I have started to underpin the corners for piece of mind and would like to add a dwarf stone built wall to the outside of the building and tie it into the block wall in order to give the building a slightly wider footprint.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Attachments

• march 2017 phone dump (177).jpg
    march 2017 phone dump (177).jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The 2nd storey is more like storage/attic area as you can bearly stand up in there. It was built under PD and all under the 4m height limit with 30m squared footprint. We notified the neighbours and they were all ok with it so we went ahead. Didnt tommy walsh do the same in his ultimate workshop video? He had an upstairs area with TV etc but built it under PD.

Don't tell anyone it's a second storey, you're only allowed one for PD!
You'd have needed building regs as well if it's got bedrooms etc. The 30m² rule is not for planning permission it's for building regs, but only if it's basically a posh shed. Otherwise you need building regs anyway.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply John. Does the way the building is built sound safe? My main concern is the thickness of the main walls and lack of piers on the 7m long wall.

Thanks for the reply John. Does the way the building is built sound safe? My main concern is the thickness of the main walls and lack of piers on the 7m long wall.
Apologies for butting in!
You seem to be a little deficient in piers, particularly for a two-storey job; look at Approved Doc. A, diagrams 17 and 18.
It should in any case have had Building Regs input as two-storey is not exempt.

Thanks for the reply Tony. Where can I find those documents?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back