Interior 'false' wall build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I'm looking to build a 'false' wall on one of my bedroom walls, and then cover it in rustic, old style painted wood. This is to hide the chip wood wallpaper (and as it's a rented property I can't strip it) and want to make minimal damage to the wall itself, so when we leave it can be taken down. I want to have around an inch spacing in between the wall to thread wires through (for a projector), and was wondering what is the best materials to use and what i'll need to built it safely? Ideally from B&Q or Wickes. The wall is around 3x3m.

Sponsored Links
Probably some 3x2 studs, or even smaller since it's basically cosmetic. The tricky part is that it will need to be screwed in to the wall each side so it doesn't, you know, fall over! That means at least a little damage to the existing walls. How much do you think you can get away with?

It would be quicker and easier to strip the woodchip now and redecorate when you leave.
Just fix battens to the wall and fix your old style painted wood to these.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back