Cracks in interior plasterboard walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new here just set up a profile looking to canvas opinions.

Bought a detached house (built about 1968-70) 6 months ago, had a home buyers guide done no issues found.

Stripped the old wood chip wall paper off the front bedroom and pulled out a load of heavy fitted wardrobes off the exterior wall. That exterior wall is covered in small cracks, I've put a picture on some arnt visible as they are hairline, the wall was black with mould so we are thinking the cracking is caused by the wardrobes and the temperature being behind the wardrobes.

There is one crack though where the exterior wall meets the interior wall the join is cracked more at the top - this one is about 2/3mm. The walls are different material you can tell by tapping them and as the wallpaper came off it was like some plaster came off with it in the corner.

Either way I'm a bit concerned. My husband and dad think I'm nuts and that a 50 year old house will have cracks here and there.

One thing that did cross my mind was that there was an interior wall taken out downstairs at some point so I thought it might just be movement caused by that.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 208
Sponsored Links
Have to agree with your dad about the age and cracks - also it wasn't the finest decade for our builders. I've got cracks, crooked walls, rough plaster in our 60's bungalow. Just goes with the decade- at least we've got a good sized plot and I can fix most things .

Yes I think you are right just after some reassurance!

We've filled them really easily going to sand and paint over as the walls are generally in good nick so if there is any movement going on it should show itself over the next few months.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back