Cracks in walls. Cause for concern?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm moving into a new house next week. Our visits and the homebuyer's reports have identified cracks in both the interior and exterior walls.

The report states that there are a number of minor external cracks which they attribute to historic settlement and nominal thermal moisture changes, and that they are not structurally serious but that they should be filled / repaired to prevent water penetration and frost damage.

The description of the interior walls is that the property has been affected by past structural movement evidenced by surface cracking to the plasterboard of the internal surfaces to internal and external walls, but that this appears to be longstanding and not progressive.

Basically, I just want some advice on whether I should have any concerns other than minor maintenance.

The part of the house where I've noticed the cracking to the brickwork corresponds to the rooms with the most visible internal cracks. There are a row of conifers approx six feet from this side and corner of the house, as well as a number of shrubs planted right against the walls. There is also a drain inspection cover in this area. The crack in the brickwork is not wide, although it has gone right through one of the bricks as well as following the mortar lines.

Thanks.

Photos attached:

Crack in brickwork.

Crack in upstairs bedroom

Crack in downstairs room

Shrubs around the foot of the external wall.

Sponsored Links
If you really like property & want it, knock a few thousand £££ off, buy it dig the shrubs up & get it sorted. As said by surveyor its minor, & you have redress against him if its not.

I think you will need to divulge this to your insurer and mortgage lender too.

Of course the only real way to tell 100% if a crack is static is to carry out investigations and measurements over a prolonged period to see if movement is occurring... however, I would trust the experts report. They are qualified and experienced in this sort of thing after all and have far more information on the property that any of us do!

Thanks,

The lender should be aware as the homebuyer's report was carried out as part of the mortgage application, and I presume the insurance company will ask all relevant questions anyway.

I'm probably being over cautious - the cracks inside are only a couple of mm or so wide and the external one is hairline (and doesn't correspond with the internal cracks), but it's good to have people's opinions. Certainly the homebuyer report didn't highlight them as major concerns.

Sponsored Links
That is foundation movement caused by trees or a leaking drain.

It will continue, until the cause is rectified. Once that happens it may close back up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back