Cracks on external walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've recently bought a detached house (last summer), the house was built in the late 80s I think. We had a survey done at the time which highlighted no structural issues.

The surveyor did note a number of cracks on exterior of the property, which he explained as:

"... some nominal cracking to the front, left and rear elevations. The external cracking has resulted from differential thermal movement typical in external wall construction of this type. The external brickwork, being a reconstituted stone, expands / contracts [thermal movement] at a different rate to the internal wall skin which is concrete blockwork. This differential expansion between the inner and outer wall skins can lead to cracking; the type of which is now apparent to the subject property. The cracking does not represent a structural concern and can be simply re-pointed as part of the routine maintenance of the property..."

I've attached several photos of the cracks. I've looked around the inside of the house and can't see any corresponding cracks internally, except behind one of the radiators in a first floor bedroom where it appears a crack was present but has since been filled (not sure if it's related).

The only reason I'm worried about this is because a builder who was providing a quote for some work thought the cracks were structural. We've trusted the surveyor and gone ahead with the purchase, but a comment like that is scary and weighs on your mind.

We're about to start renovation work on the property (an extension) and wondered if this is something we should be worried about? Do I need to get a structural engineer to have another look before the construction work starts?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240326-153824.png
    Screenshot_20240326-153824.png
    728.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20240326-153751.png
    Screenshot_20240326-153751.png
    624.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20240326-154415.png
    Screenshot_20240326-154415.png
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20240326-154258.png
    Screenshot_20240326-154258.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20240326-154214.png
    Screenshot_20240326-154214.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
Sponsored Links
That's a likely explanation.

If there is no corresponding cracking internally, then go with the surveyor's advice.

Thanks for the reply, that's quite reassuring. I did notice one crack internally that had been filled in a botched way, so I'll take a picture tomorrow and post again in case that changes things.

It's possible the previous owners did some patching elsewhere but I didn't notice anything. Will check again tomorrow.

Appreciate the advice @^woody^ , thanks very much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back