Building a stud wall to partition a garage. Vapour Barrier?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there I have had a good look around and have not found a similar enough answer.

I am looking to build a stud wall in my garage. This will split the garage into a 2x3m utility at the back and 3x3m workshop at the front. The workshop will still have the garage door for access and there will be a door hung in the stud wall for access between the rooms. There is a door from the utility room end into the house via the kitchen. The garage is built under the master bedroom and ensuite. The house is semi detached so the all garage walls are internal as both houses have a garage built under centrally.

The wall will be 3.1m long by 2.55m high.

Do I need a vapour barrier?

Should I use treated wood?

Can I use any rockwool/mineral wool product to insulate? (i.e. B&Q cheap deal)

Do I need to worry about ventilation? (I was going to fit a fire door and fireproof plasterboard, the door to the kitchen is already fireproof)

Any and all help would be massively appreciated as I have not done this type of job before but really want to give it a go. I can do moderate DIY and believe this is not beyond me.

Thanks for any replies!

Sponsored Links
Do I need a vapour barrier?

Vapour barrier on warm side / do you have a warm side, is it heated?

Should I use treated wood?

Not necessary, but the cost difference can be negligible.

Can I use any rockwool/mineral wool product to insulate? (i.e. B&Q cheap deal)

Yes

Do I need to worry about ventilation? (I was going to fit a fire door and fireproof plasterboard, the door to the kitchen is already fireproof)

If you use the room for anything wet = ventilation/extractor fan is recommended.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back