Is my chimney supported (First post)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there everyone,
First house....... and survey said when left hand side of ground floor chimney removed potentially not supported.
The survey was pre purchase and we then got a structural survey that said no evidence of steel support found and further inspection needed.
Lifted board on first floor yesterday.
Could anyone advise if it appears supported?
If not I feel a big bill coming on!

Attachments

• received_579157558930325.jpeg
    received_579157558930325.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 102
  • received_579157532263661.jpeg
    received_579157532263661.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 119
  • received_579157575596990.jpeg
    received_579157575596990.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 104
  • received_579157535596994.jpeg
    received_579157535596994.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 125
Sponsored Links
A photo of the ground floor chimney breast remnants would help. Stand back to give a larger view photo.
Your first three photos show trimming joists and a concrete consructional hearth in the first floor c/breast area - no steel support is shown.
Is the wall with a mirror in photo 4 a partition splitting the bedroom? Does the chimney breast appear on either side of the wall?
Whats above the first floor?
Does the chimney breast proceed up to a stack above the roofline?

All flues must be vented top and bottom and should have been swept (rarely done) before blocking up.
FWIW: the floor boards in photo 4 are loose looking, & the outlet on the skirting should be removed to a higher, safer position.

Brilliant thanks
I will upload more photos asap. Its our first place and during today discovered rotten floor joists in lounge...I have a feeling this forum will become home for a while. Thanks for comments so far and ill post more photos tomorrow.
Ted

Sponsored Links
If you want: start a new thread in this forum, & post photos of the newly discovered rotten joists, and the interior (for example, a bay window) above them, and the exterior ground level from outside.
Examine the skirting & plaster above the rotten joists.
How come this issue wasn't on the mortgage survey report?

A potential damp problem was identified on the survey as it said there was a high reading in the lower floor, however not to this degree! laminate flooring was covering the boards and today was a suprise to say the least!!
From reading the forum I think I have identified the problem so will be ordering new joists tomorrow....
Ill start a new thread and post the photos of that too...
You guys are amazing thanks again

FWIW: Its your house & your call but why not hold off ordering joists or doing anything else until you have been advised on here?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back