Is My Floor Safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've lifted the wood chip in my bathroom to discover notches in the joists. There are six joists in what is a small bathroom. Three are notched at 125, 1100 & 1800 mm. The other three are notched at 1100 only. The maximum depth is 25mm - some a little less.
The span is 3200mm. The joists are 50mm x 1800mm
I'm aware that the practice of notching is not a great idea - understatement!! Equally, it's a complete no-no in the centre span. Clearly some of the notches do fall into this area. The house is 30 years old and has clearly had some 'work' done it.
Aside from ripping out the whole floor, I was wondering whether 'sistering' or plating of the joists would be a potential way to go? It looks and feels sound, but I'm concerned for the integrity of the floor.
Thanks if you can offer any help.

Sponsored Links
So basically you are saying that there are 25mm deep notches in 180mm deep joists, at three seperate locations in half of them and one location in the other half. :confused:

If so, then I am pretty sure you have nothing to worry about. Most houses have notches like this for pipes, cables, etc - mine included.

I am by no means an expert in this field though, and others may advise you differently.

Apologies if I have misinterpreted your post. :)

You are right that most (all ?) of the notches are in areas that the regs state ought not to be notched , but given that they are relatively few and you have the proof of "living" with them with presumably no visible sagging, I would have no worries at all.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.
My concern was that these have been notched in the middle of the span. I understand that this is potentially bad news - even if the notch is only 25mm. We are about to relocate the bath to an area immediately above this area so were concerned about its bearing capacity.
To date, there has been no sign of sagging. We lifted the boards to re-configure the new pipework.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back