Is my oven element on its way out?

Thanks for all the input guys, but nothing sounds like the problem I've got. Got an Engineer coming in on Thursday to have a look.

Sponsored Links
Sometime prior to going O/C Elements go out of shape and the Fan (assuming its a fan oven) strats fouling on the element, causing all sorts of noises.
Try taking the cover off for a better look.

Just to add, the insulation itself is hygroscopic.
Which means, it isn't just a case of moisture getting in to the insulation; once a hole is made, the insulation will actively absorb any moisture!

Yep, quite true - which was why I suggested it would absorb moisture through the hole. It is the same insulation as used in mineral insulated cables, sometimes known as Pyro. Open ends of the cable have to be temporarily sealed to prevent the absorption, then sealed permanently when installed.

Sponsored Links
Engineer just been, the noise is the large cooling fan. The small oven thermostat doesn't work either so the cooker was overheating too. The mains trip was down to the large oven grill element going short. He said it was due to the large oven never being used and it absorbs moisture over time and when it is used it shorts out.

Waiting for him to get parts to fix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back