Electric oven - trips RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

The wife has cleaned the oven on our fan assisted cooker and now, when the oven is turned on, the fuse on the RCD trips. (it didnt get soaked !)
I suspected that some moisture may have got into the fan so removed the inside / back of the oven to expose the fan and circular heating element.
Fan was obviously dirty with fat so cleaned it off with kitchen roll and gave the heating element a good clean with dry kitchen roll.

Have got oven fan turned on now to hopefully dry off any excess moisture but it was when the actual heat was turned on, that it tripped.

Can anyone confirm please...

Q - do cleaning products damage these type of heating elements ?

TIA in advance
Sean

Sponsored Links
Heating elements are mineral insulated and the mineral will absorb water. On the forum I will not say how to drive water out as it could be dangerous. But if you call an electrician he will test and likely be able to dry it out.

thanks for the reply eric

as i say, she didnt soak it at all (she tells me) but as i say, i just suspect that some moisture may of gotten in there

btw and for info, the element just looks like 3 large circular element rings stuck on top of each other and the fan sits in the middle

i have had the "fan only" running for approx 1 hr now in the hope that it shifts whatever it needs to.

i will turn it up onto "heating" soon when i have finished on my laptop as it keeps tripping the whole RCD and knocks my router out........mega frustrating

thanks again

Open the door an stick a 3kw floor heater in front of the oven void for a hour.

Sponsored Links
It will dry in a day or so.
If you dont need to use the oven just yet, leave the door ajar & leave the fan running for awhile.

Hi all,

Quick further update.

I stuck a blow heater in front of the oven yesterday to get some warmth to the elements and we left the door open all night and we tried it again this afternoon and once again it tripped the RCD when the heat was turned on.

The fan on its own still works fine.

Does anyone know "if" a very small amount of oven cleaner were to get onto the elements, does it damage them and could that be the cause ?

Will it ever work again as we dont want to shell out for a new cooker at the moment.

TIA

Sean

Oven cleaner getting onto the outside of the element shouldn't be a problem, it is a problem if it gets inside the element as it will track it down to earth thus tripping the RCD as you say.
A replacement element will be cheaper than a new oven!

If the worst came to the worst surely you can replace the element, this would be cheaper than a new cooker.
The elements can be had for £20-£30.

Sorry to ressurrect a very old thread but this sounds quite similar to the problem I have in my thread //www.diynot.com/forums/appliances/neff-oven-tripping-rcd.307368/

Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue?

As it happens I have got a fan heater blowing in there as I strongly suspect water has found it's way into the body of the oven somehow, as you said it's a bugger to test because it trips the whole RCD!

The element may have gone, coursing a earth fault. But it could be the control wiring.
Disconnect the heating element the two wires and use a meeter to measure the resitance between the two ends of the element, 2Kw should read about 26 ohm if it a lot hire it need replacing 10- 25 quid.

Remember to switch the cooker at the fuse board or big red switch off before opening it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back