Is planning permission needed for a new Window opening?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had a new opening made about 1m away from a ground floor porch entrance to accommodate a new double glazed window.

Should this need planning permission or is this PD? I'm not referring to replacing existing windows but actually cutting an opening in the brickwork to have a 1m2 window.

The window faces the main road.

Sponsored Links
Well, no not quite. Could still put in a retrospective application.

I'd still like to know though.

Sponsored Links
The reason I'm asking is because if we come to sell the house I am required to declare what work has been done to the house and from old streetview photos it's obvious we made a new opening for the window and we might get asked if Planning Permission was sought.

The PD guidelines are vague to the extent that it says something to the effect of "if new double glazed windows are added which are similar of appearance to the old ones then it's PD". So does new windows mean replacement new windows or can it include new windows as part of a new opening.

I'm not fussed about the first floor rules, obsecured etc as that does not apply here.

Calling the council is useless, they don't give free advice, no duty planner service without paying a fee for a pre-app service.

Assuming your PD rights have not been removed, and that you are not Listed, planning permission is not needed to put a new window in, even on the front of the property.
(Suggest not asking your planning department because - by default - they will say it does need planning permission, just to get some money from you).

Edit; @op; sorry, just noticed you're in Scotland - rules might be different there?

I wouldn't ask either, mine told me I need a certificate of lawfulness which would take up to 6 weeks, turns out it's going to take 17 weeks!!

Thanks for confirming Tony. It relates to a family member's property in England.

I wouldn't ask either, mine told me I need a certificate of lawfulness which would take up to 6 weeks, turns out it's going to take 17 weeks!!
Well technically you don't need it, as it's PD whether or not you have a bit of paper. The certificate is just them agreeing it's PD. You can certainly start work before you have it.

You definitely don't need an LDC (except to appease moronically ignorant conveyancers)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back