Is planning required for a new external door ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to have a builder knock a hole in the side of my garage and install an external door.
The door will be opening onto my property (side alley running along the side of my house). It would not affect the appearance of the front of the property and would have no impact on my neighbours.

My question is would I need planning permission and would I need building regulations approval.

Opinions gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Planning won’t be required but Building Regs. will be for the new door opening & support lintel. If the wall is only single skin & single story there will be no load to speak of & they may not be interested but if it’s an integral part of the house structure, then that’s different & they may well require inspection; I would suggest you ring your LABC to check. If the door is between the garage & the house it must be a fire door & will require BR approval but it sounds as if yours is only for external access.

Sponsored Links
woody is right here, you need to be 1m away from the boundary to have any opening more than 1m2 in area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back