Is position of new window ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good day

Back ground is our new windows colder/draughtier than old. Had another post about it. Did some investigating and can now see a bit more.

Two quick questions:

- the window is set forward towards exterior around 6mm more than previously, so the course of bricks that is now inside that was 2mm is now 8mm. Would this difference increase cold bridging?

- window width is approx 8mm smaller than window aperture. At bottom the 8mm is on one side, and the window sill touches the wall on the other side, with the side of the window itself just under 1mm from the wall, increasing to 2-3mm at the top. Can only see this side fully as only removed plaster from here. Is this acceptable? I thought there should be a gap to allow for expansion? Also, no room for insulation.

- They have put some foam insulation at bottom of window, but nothing up sides. The fitters assured me they had, with a manager at the company stood next to me (he was investigating my complaint that the windows are cold). Also, the reason I chose this company was they assured me they used plenty of insulation around the windows and I told the installers this when they arrived. Not sure what else I could have done really! Sorry. Rant over :)

Anything I can do/ask them to do to fix this?

Sponsored Links
Anyone? Any input appreciated. Been reading up and it says 5mm each side recommended...

I'm far from an expert on this tbh. However my understanding is quite a few things can cause thermal bridging. Best practice dictates 5mm for expansion however once trims and sealants are on the consumer has no way of knowing how closely this (or other installation) steps have been followed. Maybe needs an independent surveyor to have a look if you think the install's dodgy?

Sponsored Links
You'll probably find if you measure your walls they are not square, and the windows are. So the uneven gaps you see will be the square (parallel) window in a not to parallel opening. Sometimes expanding foam is not used, or used sparingly because it can push the flexible upvc frames out of square making them difficult to open (more common with sash iirc). All the gaps should be sealed though... Assuming the installers are FENSA approved, the only criteria is for insulation rating of the glass/frame and the prevention of drafts (by sealing the gaps!), iirc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back