Is Tantalised Timber safe for indoor use in furniture?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've used some timber half posts for a wardrobe frame. The posts in question are tanalised treated to UC3.

I am getting mixed responses. Some state that so long as I avoid using it in any food prep applications, keep it dry and don't burn it, then it will be fine.

Others are saying that tantilised timber is toxic, outgases VOCs, that it is corrosive to screws and aluminium, and that it can leak poisonous stuff.

From what I gather the UK tantalised timber is indeed safe for use inside, and can be used around children and animals, it seems that the negative perspectives come from people in the USA, who perhaps use a different type of pressure treatment.

I would appreciate some advice concerning the safety of tantilised timber from people who know what they are talking about. Thanks

Sponsored Links
my understanding is that modern stuff (tanalith e) is safe enough. But be wary of imports and older stuff, I think I read once that stuff produced as recent as the 1990,s could still have stuff like arsenic in it ? (hence the green colur), I think they now add a green dye to make it look like it has!

I think they now add a green dye to make it look like it has!
Pressure treated timber often comes either a green or brown stain, although some producers use a clear tanalising compound as well. Vac-vac treated stuff I've used came with a yellow stain, whilst roofing laths are often pink these days (apparently because of JB red - a preservative - the colour indicates its that the timber is treated to standard BS.5534, although one job I worked on had blue laths).

When I had a commercial (workshop) woodburner we were told by the manufacturer not to burn pressure treated timbers as the resultant smoke contained potential carcinogens

as the resultant smoke contained potential carcinogens
Doesn't all smoke?

Further, doesn't all flue smoke/ gas go up and out? Others there are other more pressing issues with the appliance.

But yes I've heard that warning many times, but doubt the reasoning behind it. Sounds like just something passed down without question.

Sponsored Links
would appreciate some advice concerning the safety of tantilised timber from people who know what they are talking about.
Wrong forum for that. :rolleyes:

Anyway, what type of tanalith are you referring to? Each has slightly different content and qualities.

The material data sheets will generally refer to the chemical in context of the treatment process.
But in use, even inside, as long as you don't plan on eating lots of it, then the only issue would be perhaps any slight odour - which could be dealt with by sealing the surface.

Doesn't all smoke?

Further, doesn't all flue smoke/ gas go up and out? Others there are other more pressing issues with the appliance.

But yes I've heard that warning many times, but doubt the reasoning behind it. Sounds like just something passed down without question.

Why do you doubt the reasoning behind it? Have you taken the time to look into it to make an informed decision? Or are you discounting it without question?

edit------ sorry, that is probably more confrontational than I intended

Why do you doubt the reasoning behind it? Have you taken the time to look into it to make an informed decision? Or are you discounting it without question?

edit------ sorry, that is probably more confrontational than I intended
For the reasons in my post.

Many people, when asked if you should burn tanalised or treated timber (mainly asked for log burners), quote the same old thing.

And yet, all smoke is hazardous, and smoke (of flue exhaust gas) from heating appliances should not be entering the room.

There may be reasons why treated timber should not be burnt domestically, perhaps tar or suchlike build up, but i suspect 'because the smoke is hazardous' is not one of them.

There may be reasons why treated timber should not be burnt domestically, perhaps tar or suchlike build up, but i suspect 'because the smoke is hazardous' is not one of them.
So what you are saying is that you think the by products of burning fungicides, herbicides and other stabilising compounds is safe? Interesting. But if smoke isn't hazardous, why do council environmental departments prosecute those who make it? Especially commercial premises? (Been there, done that, didn't get a fine, did install an afterburner)

From my own experience the people who manufacture smaller industrial woodburners generally advise against the burning of any finished (e.g. sprayed, painted, etc) or treated timbers on the grounds that there is no way to know what is in the smoke produced and that even an afterburner (which converts wood smoke into carbon dioxide and water vapour - smoke is often the result of incomplete combustion) can't deal with the other compounds in a guaranteed safe manner, because they don't run at industrial incinerator temperatures

Personally, I run my own woodburner mainly on hardwood - softwood causes a build-up of soot and tar in the flue which the requires more frequent sweeping. And basically it's a hateful task. Finished materials, man made timber materials (full of resin glues), etc can be as bad, or worse IMHO.

So what you are saying is that you think the by products of burning fungicides, herbicides and other stabilising compounds is safe?
No. Where has that been written?

I commented on your comment that you were "told by the manufacturer not to burn pressure treated timbers as the resultant smoke contained potential carcinogens", in that what you were told must be wrong as burning anything is carcinogenic, so that (what you were told) can not be a reason not to burn tantalised timber, because you can say exactly the same thing for a bag of kindle from B&Q.

Wrong forum for that. :rolleyes:

Anyway, what type of tanalith are you referring to? Each has slightly different content and qualities.

The material data sheets will generally refer to the chemical in context of the treatment process.
But in use, even inside, as long as you don't plan on eating lots of it, then the only issue would be perhaps any slight odour - which could be dealt with by sealing the surface.
Thanks for the response. According to the datasheet the posts are treated with Tantalith E.

I use a fair bit of treated boards for kindling - 99.9% of the smoke goes up chimney, apart from when the wind is in a certain direction and I get a good wiff of it.....

Have quite a history with heavy smoking, asbestos, working indoors with diesel engines (when they were running) , and now as a woodworking hobbiest, a fair bit of hard wood dusts (padauk with its bright orange dust this last week...)

I do go into a panic mode whenever I cough - the worrying will probably be my end. LOL

warning - thread diversion
@JobAndKnock - you may know, how do I preserve that wonderful red/orange colour of African Padauk and stop it turning dark brown?

Last edited:
Paint or varnish over it if you're worried.
I built all my bathroom furniture in treated timber and stain/varnished it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back