Is there a formula as to where to place a thermostat?

one that identifies where occupant is and heats that zone to a pre-determined temperature, but all a bit Star Trek I fear.
Nest claim that their thermostat can detect occupancy via CO2 levels!

Does that mean if you are a home brewer the heating stays on all the time! :LOL::LOL:
It was with home brewing that I rekindled my interest, there seems to be an argument as to measure the fermentor temperature or air temperature in the brewing fridge, what seems to be missed is measuring air temperature needs an extra bit, a fan to circulate the air.

I am sure with a small fan running the air would have a more even temperature but the human body evaporates moisture so moving the air makes us cooler, my Myson radiator was in real terms a failure due to size and shape of the room it was in.

As to calibration there are three temperature measuring devices in the room and when placed together they do show the same readings.

The house was thrown together 1954 with 4 solid fuel fires, Stove in kitchen and open fire in the two living rooms and just one open fire upstairs in the master bedroom. I say thrown together as good design would have had vents to replace the air which went up the flue very close to the fire so reducing drafts in the room, but these were never fitted, there were vents, but in the wrong places. Moving to central heating removed the open flues and so removed most of the drafts in the house. Well open flues not completely removed there are gas fires in front of them which are not used.

Today the big problem is doors, my mother will insist on closing them as that was required in the days of open flues. However leave them open and even the single thermostat in the hall does a reasonable job. I tried adjusting the TRV's in the two living rooms, but found in the main room either room very slow to warm up or it got too hot no amount of fiddling could get the room right. I think two TRV's working and two towel rails and one uncontrolled radiator was not the best set up. In essence the TRV would open when the boiler was not running so radiators would not get hot, the boiler would start and radiator would get very hot before the TRV closed so was still pumping heat into the room. With doors open and air circulating to at least some extent it did work better.

Having the thermostat in the room has really helped. Now it is just tailoring it to needs, having 5 temperatures per day and 7 individual days means it can also be programmed to allow for days when she is always out. It also means I can use two events first starting to heat and second maintaining the heat to reduce over shoot. Ideal day temperature for a 90 year old woman I will say is 21 ~ 23°C at the moment it drops to 20°C and I suppose keeping a room +/- 3°C is not that bad, but would like to reduce it to +/- 2°C.

Sponsored Links
That's one down side to my combi, no airing cupboard to start wine off in!:(
Talking of movement and the elderly, when my dad retired he complained his self winding watch kept stopping, I had to explain it was because he never left the chair, only moved to operate the TV remote with his right hand and his watch was on the other wrist!:)

My problem is you can't teach her new tricks. Doors have always been closed, the one chair she uses was placed there to avoid drafts even though no longer drafts, and she expects to have to continually alter the thermostat, lucky she alters one which only works at night
As has been said, it probably comes down largely to common sense and, if one can (e.g. with a wireless stat), experimentation. I have always felt that on any wall (inevitably where they are found) is probably non-ideal, and that one or more sensor(s) 'dangling from the ceiling' in suitable places (maybe suitably camouflaged!) might well be the ideal, functionally if not aesthetically!

Kind Regards, John
I have actually considered that, since lights now don't give off much heat may be put thermostat in the light shade?

I have actually considered that, since lights now don't give off much heat may be put thermostat in the light shade?
Yes - or, at least, use a lampshade (without a light, or with a tiny light) to camouflage the sensor.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Does that mean if you are a home brewer the heating stays on all the time! :LOL::LOL:
That would probably help with the fermentation process!
Odd but +/- 3°C is OK for us but not my beer. I am looking at +/- 1°C for the fermentor however since in a fridge in the garage it would not affect the central heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back