Where to put wall thermostat?

I have seen one pipe heating, it carried steam which was allowed to turn into water and run into a drain away, but this is hardly standard practice. In the main you have a pipe taking hot water into a radiator and out of a radiator does not matter if the radiators are in series of parallel, however with the series method there needs to be a bypass so radiator can be turned off without turning off all radiators, with series the return water is rather hot, which means you can't extract as much heat from the fuel being burnt.

The small Myson does have a large heat output, it must be somewhere around the 6kW mark, it has two controls a thermostat which turns fan off and on and a speed control for the fan, and on the output pipe a thermal switch to turn it off once the water becomes cold.

Theory is good, practice not so good, watching TV at night and the Myson cuts in and you realise how noisy they are, and although they heat the room quickly once they turn off the room cools again quickly as well, there is no mass of hot water slowly cooling, it's on or off very like an inferred heater. With the lock shield valves wide open on a 10 mm micro bore system there is quite a large fall in water temperature in and out of a Myson far more then the largest radiator I have in the house. Boiler on and within 5 minutes the Myson is blowing and boiler off and within 5 minutes it has stopped. But where the Myson thermostat cuts in the return water temperature has a massive change in temperature. When Myson is not blowing the return water is rather hot.

I am sure today the Myson has a whole different way to control the water flow? I am sure there is a solenoid which as soon as the fan stops restricts the water flow so hot water does not return to boiler as quickly as the old model I have. But mine was bought in 1980 well before we had condensate boilers as the norm.

Sponsored Links
As to mothers heating
upload_2017-4-21_20-27-9.png

This is the computer control panel, the MiHome help team tell me there is nothing wrong with the eTRV's fitted, they have asked for details on the Honeywell VT15EG valve the heads are fitted to so now waiting to see what happens tonight? Have they corrected something when they interrogated the hub, or will it fail again tonight to drop in temperature? What are the bets that it now works even though they claim there was nothing wrong?

If it were me I would rip it out and fit tried and tested standard TRV's ....how have we managed for all these years......:)

Skimming through this thread and I've lost 5 minutes I'll never get back..jeez..
Room stat should be located in common hallway period...air changes may have some bearing on this fact.

Sponsored Links
I installed a system last year with around 42 radiators , ALL terrier lockshields are FULLY open coupled with Drayton TR4's , the deltaT @ ALL radiators is uniform , are you insinuating I'm not a professional and that you would have done a better job?...you would be out of scope to carry out the works in any case.

Oh FFS Steely, it sounds like you know how to design & install CH systems??!!......Your no welcome here mate!! We've got lots of Google Warriors that know a hell of a lot more than you about the subject!! Close the door behind you, there's a luv!!

upload_2017-4-21_23-17-10.png

Well it seems it has failed, the current temperature has not changed even though the target has dropped 3 degrees, OK may be not enough time to drop 3 degrees, but not even dropped 1 degree.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back