Room temperature variation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the summer the hall TRV and the wall thermostat showed the same temperature, so reasonably sure they are both reasonably accurate, but today TRV shows 15°C and wall thermostat shows 18°C and this is quite common.

Living room two TRV's one shows 15°C the other 17°C they are at 90° to each other and one protected from draft by furniture, that one shows lowest. Once heating has been running then the living room will swap which shows lowest.

Dinning room lowest at 14°C with target at 17°C.

The wall thermostat in the hall has only just reached 18°C (6:45 am) after turning down from 20.5°C at 10 pm. It reports at -1°C outside, away from radiators in living room 14.2°C heating due to turn up at 7:15 am and once it has been running for a little time the temperatures do even out a bit, and not worried as bedroom still at 18.2°C

But the hall is the problem area, as it is so slow to cool where the wall thermostat is, which is around central to house, and where people in the house are most likely to pass so trigger the occupancy sensor. It is also between the doors for 4 rooms so during the day when doors open and people walking around it gets a reasonable average of all entrance floor rooms.

At the moment the hall TRV is actually set lower than wall thermostat as it is always recording a lower temperature, and it works well, however as summer approaches then the difference will reduce.

I wonder if you can get a TRV head with a remote sensor so it can be placed higher up so it reads same temperature as wall thermostat so no adjust is required as summer approaches?

Sponsored Links
remember as hot air rises if you have stairs the heat will migrate up the stairs
also there are no people dwelling or electrical goods to generate spare heat in the hallway

I

I wonder if you can get a TRV head with a remote sensor so it can be placed higher up so it reads same temperature as wall thermostat so no adjust is required as summer approaches?
You can get a Drayton trv 4 with that(y)

Sponsored Links
Thank you @Nige F did not know the Drayton trv 4 would do this, found fibaro and also fht-80btf but in both cases rather expensive.

I found a number with mechanical remote using very thin pipe, but these are not programmable so no real help. Sorry @Nige F should have said needs to be programmable.

So at £76 I think as summer arrives I will manually adjust it.

Yes @big-all that is the problem, heat does raise up the stair well, so the TRV in hall is set 2°C lower than wall thermostat, and at this time of year that works, but as the temperature differential inside and outside reduces so will the temperature differential TRV and wall thermostat, so if I could raise the sensor higher up the wall, then I could also match the two throughout the seasons.

I have seen some thing that looks like a TRV but is really for under floor heating, I will guess these switch on/off rather than slowly opening or closing, but it may be possible to fit them to a TRV and power with standard wall thermostat?
Danfoss-TWA-K-Thermal-Actuator-100x100.jpg
will these actually work a TRV? At around £15 they are more around what I want to pay, already have a spare programmable thermostat, and socket right next to radiator, but will they work?

Main idea of TRV control is gradually open/closed where a motorised valve is either open or closed, so because there is quite a large slewing range with the TRV it works reasonably well with wall thermostat. Could simply turn the heat high and use the lock shield, however found when the front door is opened it then takes ages to recover, or if open the lock shield more, turns off wall thermostat too early so rest of house cold.

So ideas in action so to speak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back