Thermostat Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Mum has got this Danfoss thermostat and she is finding it hard to get used to (she is 84) what i am wondering is there anyway this can be used where she can turn the heating on and off manually without any pre-settings ?

I notice there is no off or on buttons or automatic turn on buttons on this thermostat to just put the heating on and off at the touch of a button.

Also i was wondering when i had a quick look at this thermostat the setting on the LCD for showing the temperature was at 23.5 C (that was the large numbers on the LCD) now i take it this was the ambient temperature for the hall that the thermostat is on or is this a setting that can be changed so that it can be set to a lower C say for instance 18-20.

The reason i ask is when the LCD reading is showing the room at 23.5 then the boiler won’t kick in until you hit that temperature ie set to come on at 18:00 with the temperature reading beside this at 24 ? this would mean that the heating is running at 24 C where her old one could be set to kick in when the thermostat was at 15-18 sort of range.

It has been set for the 5/2 programme where the settings are Mon-Fri

1: 14:00 - 24 C
2: 15:00 - 13 C
3: 18:00 - 24 C
4: 22:00 - 13 C

Sat/Sun

14:00 - 24 C
15:00 - 13 C
18:00 - 24 C
22:00 - 13 C

Would it be just as well set on the 24 hr one set of programmes for the whole week, since the times are set the same throughout the 5/2 programme ? thx in advance

Sponsored Links
lol i like the cut of your jib but without changing what is there have you any other pearls of wisdom for the issue thx

What model is it? .

Danfoss are not a user friendly product.

You have 4 time slots per day, iirc there should be 6. You have some rather odd settings there too.

Sponsored Links
It's a TP5000 SI-RF. Regarding the settings the 13 C ones were basically set at that so it goes off as it does not have an off/on button like her old one did which she was used to.

As you probably guess i have limited knowledge of how these things work myself so sorry if i am being a bit vague in any correspondence

The most simplistic on/off setup would be just a dial thermostat.
Turn clockwise for off, anticlockwise for on.

It does rather sound like this isn't really the right product for her. Programmable stats often don't have an obvious on/off switch - seems to be hidden away with a couple of button presses. The idea is that you might just do this in the summer etc. So there is no way really for her to be able to do what she would like with it. The suggested Honeywell replacement above does have an off switch

I was going to suggest just putting a simple switch into the cable from the stat to the boiler (or where ever it goes) that tells the rest of the system to turn on, she could then just use that to turn on and off. But I then realised that you said it was an RF version.

The same could be done with the wiring from the reciever, but the switch might not then be in a convenient position. Is there also still a seperate programmer (timeclock basically) for controlling the CH and HW?

Re your question about the display, the temp is the ambient temp. The temps set on the stat programme are the temps that the heating turns off. so if it is set to 24C at 18.00 then after 1800 the heating will turn on if the temp is below 24C and turn off once it gets above it.

Of course these temps can be changed ion the programme

It's a TP5000 SI-RF. Regarding the settings the 13 C ones were basically set at that so it goes off as it does not have an off/on button like her old one did which she was used to.
Many modern stats don't have an on/off switch, it's just controls the temperature according to a time schedule. So if you want the boiler off, say overnight, you just set a low temperature. This prevents the house getting too cold, which is important where elderly people are concerned.

Do you have the user/installer instructions for the TP5000? If not they are Here.

You can have 2, 4 or 6 temperature changes a day.

If you have two changes, the first is when your mum gets up (e.g 21C at 8am) and the second when she goes to bed (e.g 13C at 22.30). If four or six changes, the middle 2 or 4 should be set to the same temperature (21C) as No 1, but spaced evenly over the day. (I will explain later.)

Assuming you mum's daily routine is constant, I would change it to the 24 hour option.

If she wants to change the temperature during the day, she just has to press the up or down button as appropriate to change the target temperature. It will revert to the preset temperature at the next time/temperature setting -useful if she forgets to turn it down. That's why I suggest spacing the times throughout the day.

I would turn optimization on as it means the house will always be up to temperature when your mum gets up.

Thx for the replies guys much appreciated i think what is getting to her is the fact that the temperature on the LCD display is sitting at roughly 20.5 so it needs to be set at higher than that for the heating to kick in.

Even tho it's an RF model the guy fixed it to the place where the old dial thermostat sat probably to cover up the existing hole or whatever and this is in the hallway which i imagine would be 1 of the coldest places in the house but at the moment (not really proper winter yet) 20.5 is not that cold but i think she wants the 20.5 reading to be between 15-18 and the temperature to be set at say 20 or so.

I do not know if it would be a good idea suggesting moving the RF thermo to somewhere else that is maybe colder so the ambient temp is lower than it is at the moment so she can see herself that it's kicking in at 18 or so instead of 20.5 and upwards upwards.

She is from the old school that she does not want to be wasting any money on heating that is not being used properly.

I will attach an image of what i mean about the LCD reading and temperature,you will notice i have highlighted in yellow the reading that on her thermo reads 20.5 and in red the temperature that it is set at on the thermo which is 24, on the image it is set at 15

rfbv.png

I do not know if it would be a good idea suggesting moving the RF thermo to somewhere else that is maybe colder so the ambient temp is lower than it is at the moment so she can see herself that it's kicking in at 18 or so instead of 20.5 and upwards upwards.

My grandparents (in-law) refuse to accept how their RF therm works. They insist on keeping it on top of their old style TV that is relatively warm so that "they can see the temperature" - which keeps it just warm enough not to bring the heating on to their satisfaction. So when they want the heating to come on they move the RF therm to the small toilet (which is unheated) - therefore bringing the heating on. When they want the heating to go off again they put the RF therm on the shelf above the kettle and make a cup of tea - therefore turning the heating off.

Its not pretty, but it works for them and they are happy with the heating. But for a few years I've been trying to convince them to let me change it back to a system they will find easier to understand and less labour intensive - but I've got nowhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back