Room Thermostat and TRVs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have recently moved into a house that has a condensing Baxi Boiler (not a combination one), and also has TRV's on every radiator. There is also a Room thermostat in the hall way. The room thermostat is suituated directly opposite the hallway radiator. Due to this the thermostat is clicking off when the hall wall is warm, but the rest of the house could still be cold.
Questions:
1. Do I really need a room thermostat if all the rads have TRVs ?
2. Is it worth me moving the Room Thermostat ?
3. Should I just set the room thermostat to some high temp to keep the heating going and let the TRV's control the individual room temperatures ?
4. Would No. 3 make our heating bill expensive ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Opening myself up to ridicule here, but I don't think the rad in the hallway, where the thermostat is should be equipped with a TRV, or if it is, it should always be kept fully open. Perfectly willing to be corrected though (as the bishop etc etc ....).

RogGriffin said:
Questions:
1. Do I really need a room thermostat if all the rads have TRVs ?
2. Is it worth me moving the Room Thermostat ?
3. Should I just set the room thermostat to some high temp to keep the heating going and let the TRV's control the individual room temperatures ?
4. Would No. 3 make our heating bill expensive ?
Thanks
1, Yes the room thermostat control the boiler & pump.
2, You can but need to turn it up higher and see how you get on.
3, As no 2
4, I would've thought so unless you don't mind being cold !

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem as yourself. The thermostat was not in the coldest part of the house. So British Gas put a TRV on the bypass rad, joined the feed and return pipes together to create a seperate bypass and turned the thermostat up high (my thermostat just controls temperature, all timers are on the boiler itself).

In theory, the boiler should stop heating when it senses there is no demand because all radiators have switched off and the pumped water is being returned at the same temperature.
My house rarely has all rads switched off at the same time so I would hope the extra cost is minimal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back