Room Thermostat

33c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a four year old central heating system with trvs and a room thermostat in the hall. The boiler continues to cycle when the trv's have shut down all of the radiators except the one in the hall which is hot at all times. Having read here that you shouldn't have a trv in the same room as the thermostat I removed it, but still the hall radiator is hot and the boiler still cycles. Is the thermostat faulty - if I turn it below 18c it clicks off, so I can't set it to a lower temperature for when I am not here? Ideal Icos boiler, Honeywell ST6300A programmer and Honeywell dial room thermostat. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You are correct, there should not be a TRV in a room containing a room thermostat.

The hall thermostat is a switch. When the set temperature is reached, the thermostat will turn off all of the radiators. The design of your heating system should be such that this area is the last to get warm, otherwise all of the radiators including your lounge, which may still be cool will go off.

As the temperature in the hall falls below the set temperature the thermostat turns the radiators back on again.

It is easy to test. Hang a quality, accurate thermometer from the thermostat in your hall. Set the thermostat to say 18 degrees and see what happens. The thermometer should reach 18 degrees and not much higher. If it goes significantly above that then there is a problem. If not all is fine. Be careful though, radiators can stay hot for quite some time after the boiler has gone off, so a slight overshoot may occur.

The fact that you say the thermostat is clicking at 18 suggests that 18 was the actual temperature in your hall at the time, so it will go off if you set it to 17 or below. When the room temperature falls to what you've set, it will click back on again. That's how it is supposed to work.

The room thermostat is there to shut down the whole heating system when the entire house is warm or in mild weather when there is no heat required, to save energy. The other rooms are looked after by their individual TRV's.

• Thanks
Reactions: 33c
Often the hall radiator is too small to heat it to the same temperature as the living rooms. A simple approach would be to wait until the living room is warm then turn down the thermostat down until it turns off. If the living room gets too cold over the next couple of hours, turn the thermostat up a degree. The difference between living room and hall temperatures will reduce as the weather gets warmer, so you might have to fiddle with the thermostat as the weather changes.

• Thanks
Reactions: 33c

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back