Is there much difference?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ive a potterton Puma 100 in a house that we have recently bought (4 bed detached). its on its last legs and loosing pressure. A plumber says he can change the expansion chamber that might solve the problem but its best to put the money towards replacing it.

So after lots of searching on here and prices on the net i think im looking between £600-£800 for the boiler, a magna clean and the plumber to fit. the later being extra of course!

Given that ive been looking at Glow worm ultracom2 30 cxi, flexicom 30cx, Potterton Gold 28 HE and a baxi. I put a Glow worm 30 cxi into my old house and its been brilliant to be fair. Its been a shock going from an energy bill (dual) of £80 pm to more like £200 pm in the new place.

ive had a run of bad luck with plumbers recently so im not 100% inclined to trust everything they say. Naturally i would like something reliable and cheap to repair but which is best and is it a good idea for me to buy the boiler online and get someone to fit it?

Cheers

Jon

Sponsored Links
It probably only need pumping up with a foot pump 30 minutes
to drain pump up and refill.
Change your plumber.

Change your plumber.

Thanks for the reply. Ive topped up the CH system and bled it a few times but still it looses pressure. I cant find any leaks so i think this expansion vessel is just the start of the problems. The boiler starts the CH at 6:30am with a gargle so i think something else must be wrong.

If the diaphram in the EV is bust then pumping it up wont make much difference will it?

Cheers

Jon

Check the copper pressure relief pipe that runs from the boiler to outside.

If it drips when boiler running, could be the vessel. If it drips after topping up boiler pressure, but with system off and cold, could just be the pressure relief valve.

Tape a plastic bag over the open end of the pipe to see if it collects water.

Many boilers make noises when started.

Sponsored Links
The boiler is in the garage so as far as I know the only pipe outside is the flue. There is a brass pressure valve runs up to the top left like a whistle right. The fitting is loose and calcified but its dry. I will try the bag idea when I top up next. The boiler is quite happy running now with next to no ch pressure. It used to stop every other day.

Change your plumber.

Thanks for the reply. Ive topped up the CH system and bled it a few times but still it looses pressure. I cant find any leaks so i think this expansion vessel is just the start of the problems. The boiler starts the CH at 6:30am with a gargle so i think something else must be wrong.

If the diaphram in the EV is bust then pumping it up wont make much difference will it?

Cheers

Jon

Most of the time it is just the expansion vessel needs pumping up.
LIke a car tyre it's gone flat. Unlikely there is anything actually wrong with it.

The boiler is in the garage so as far as I know the only pipe outside is the flue. There is a brass pressure valve runs up to the top left like a whistle right. The fitting is loose and calcified but its dry. I will try the bag idea when I top up next. The boiler is quite happy running now with next to no ch pressure. It used to stop every other day.

Your boiler's pressure relief pipe is the right hand pipe, underneath boiler. Should be 15mm pipe. Where does it run to?

Ah I meant the automatic air vent. The PRV has leaked before but stopped. The air vent is the one that is calcified.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back