Is this a fair price to from a plumber to replace a bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our current bath has broke, so we need to have a new one fitted.

We have been trying to save for a whole new suite / renovation of the bathroom but have been caught short with the timing. Pardon the pun.

We are thinking it may be wise to get the bath of our choice for the renovation fitted now, rather than a simple like for like...rather than have to pay again soon in the future.

We would like to replace the broken straight one with either a P/B shaped bath or a corner bath.

We have been quoted the following for labour (based in south east)

P/B Shaped fitting: £360

Corner bath £385

It would also include tidying up of a hole in the an external wall that may be visible.

These prices are with a plumber we have used in the past, so haven't got anyone else in to compare prices.

Does these seem like fair prices? We would be supplying the bath and taps.

Sponsored Links
I'd say that's very reasonable, looks like he's allowed for no more than one days' work and very little in the way of materials. If you're happy with his previous work, stick with him.

Don't make the mistake of buying a cheap bath, especially if you're thinking of using it for showering in, as you could end up in the same situation again. A good bath will cost you around £400-500. It's worth noting that your plumber will be able to get trade discounts and so buying off him might save you money

Thank you for your reply.

I have spotted a few deals on Victoria Plumbing and Victoria Plum websites.

The baths come with 10 or 5 year warranty i think.

I agree to try and buy best bath possible, but at the same time I do have budget restraints too. Thanks again.

Anything with a 5 year warranty is going to be thin enough to see daylight through and won't stand up to regular showering in - it'll just split. I appreciate that you might have budget restraints, but buying a decent one now will ensure you don't have the disruption and additional high cost of replacing it in a few years' time. Good baths carry a 25 or 30 year warranty

Sponsored Links
Really, everything they sell is that bad?

had a bit of a headache already with this so looks like im going to have to do a bit more research then.

Where else do you recommend?

Viccy Plum seem to have a lot more cust service complaints than most, usually with items that arrive damaged and then there's a nightmare getting them replaced.
Victoria Plumbing are a different mob and seem to be a bit better.

Remember though why these guys can supply stuff so cheap, don't think they get it cheaper than everyone else, but more because it might be made cheaper?

Spend as much as you can on a bath if it's to be used for showering as it needs to take the punishment with a minimum of a 10 year guarantee but a 20-25 year guarantee would be my recommendation.

Last edited:

Bear in mind that the 5mm thickness quoted will almost certainly be the thickness of the flat sheet of acrylic the bath was formed from, and so by the time it's been heated and stretched over a mould it'll be more like 3mm. Unless it's then been properly reinforced with fibreglass or similar, which cheap baths often aren't, it'll be weak, flexible, prone to cracking and will suffer from very poor heat retention (the water will go cold quickly)

Just fitted a reinforced shower bath from bath superstore.com they are a reseller for Trojan plastics. Very heavy and nice quality.
I kept telling the customer to get the thickest bath they could. Then there's me sliding backwards on the stairs as its some damm heavy!.
IMG_20160122_160147_zpsf8gmm0q2.jpg
IMG_20160130_184607_zpsdnhttkqm.jpg

Regards that reinforced bath.... is reinforced different to the ones i linked to?

The corner bath i was eying up was a Trojan make.

OK, I see you guys have said they are shyte, any where else online you would recommend to look at?

The bath you were looking at was called a Trojan, which is very different from it being made by Trojan.

Any of these, which your plumber should be able to get good discounts on, will be good quality and offer a 30-year warranty

If you want a corner bath, the reinforced versions on this page are also good quality with a 30-year warranty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back