Is this an old BT junction box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this an old BT junction box stuck on the front of the house?

I can see a cable coming up from a pipe buried in the floor which goes into this thing, and then from that another cable (2-wire) goes somewhere under the front porch.

Was tempted to rip it off the wall, as we’ve never used a landline (just have virgin fibre broadband) so a landline isn’t necessary, however if this is some kind of “demarcation” that BT manage, and is potentially a point to run a “fresh” landline from back into the house if we ever decided to get a landline (unlikely) then perhaps I should save it?

Maybe replace it with something more modern like a waterproof wiska junction box maybe?

73712330-EA6B-4F5B-AB33-8398F07AF31A.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Looks like a Block Terminal No. 18

Could that be a cable to your next door neighbour's house ?
yep realized that afterwards. :) Pretty certain its the block terminal No. 18 as you described. It just looks ancient, and also I don't like the way the cable just pops out the top of the pipe without any kind of cover over it.

Have just come across this thing online....

ExternalCLIV1d.jpg

You could argue that it's not any prettier than what's already there I guess, but at least it looks more modern and it covers the pipe in the floor. Reckon I'll just get it and swap it over one day, and just connect everything up inside with those jelly crimp connectors :)

Given the modern dropwire going off to the right it's almost certainly jelly crimps in there already

Sponsored Links
I would advise not to interfere with the junction box and the connections inside it,
Having had a closer look at the top section of what I was planning to buy, there’s no external access points, so am looking at bigger enclosing boxes that just sit on top of the old junction box to hide it.

This one is probably a good option as it means I can cut a suitably-sized hole into the back of it to allow the old junction box to pass through (with a couple of drain holes at the bottom) and also because the lid depth is quite thick, I can cut a 4mm hole on each side right on the seam of the lid so that the lid itself can be taken off without needing to disconnect any cables. Nice and neat, and doesn’t tamper with the original :)

658BA1EA-D828-4853-9CF8-3AF1FE81D26F.jpeg

Why bother? Most likely you will be having a Fibre connection in the near future, particularly as I guess you are UG connected.

Actually the wiring into the box is a bit of a lashup - the grey figure of 8 wire going left is old Dropwire (pole to house), where does that go to or does it just end as a dead-end? Where does the black round cable going to the right looks to be the external version of internal cable, but may not be as the visible cleat (clip) is questionable; where does that enter the house?

Take the top cover off and have a look. Maybe post an image of the internals on here.

Is the white stuff old ant powder? Was there a cover over the cable coming up as per the cover in your posting #3 above? Those covers are notorious for providing ants and other creatures with a way into the house.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back