Is This Dry Rot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,

Hoping for some advice, please. I've offered on a 1930s built property, and as far as I can tell from the outside, no tile replacement has been done (judging by the other houses on the street - most are showing the same patina/colouring on tiles)

Now, when I went into the loft, there was quite a bit of orange dust. I didn't touch it or rub it between my fingers, but it's pretty vivid in colour, so I half suspect it's roof tile dust as opposed to mould. There hasn't been any works done in the loft for over ten years I'm told.

The felt in the loft is pretty knackered - I've read that the felt is only really a secondary barrier against tile failure, as opposed to a defence for rain etc.

Could anyone please suggest any advice on:

If the loft felt replaceable leaving the tiles in-situ? i.e they don't need to be removed to do this job and it can be done from the loft, rather than outside the property?

Is the orange dust anything to be concerned about? It's not a sign of tile degredation or they're disintegrating into dust? My theory is that the orange dust is simpyl from the tiles and is getting blow in by the wind o_O

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you

Screenshot 2021-09-02 at 11.07.23.png
Screenshot 2021-09-02 at 11.07.46.png
Screenshot 2021-09-02 at 11.07.40.png

Sponsored Links
No you can"t replace the felt without removing the tiles (and battens which the tiles fix to). That felt doesn't look bad anyway, check around for any evidence of water on the floor.
Have a good look at the timbers, brush any cobwebs, dust etc off and see if there's woodworm in the rafters

Thanks - there are a couple of areas where it's got a hole in it. Not sure if they can (or should) be patched up internally if the whole thing can't be replaced?

Will get a closer look at the timbers etc - I couldn't see any damp from looking. The orange dust is curious but unsure if it's also nothing to worry about.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
That is really concerning - on further look at this photo perhaps it isn't tile dust I'm looking at

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-03 at 11.42.09.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-03 at 11.42.09.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 102
And one more here which doesn't look great...

Difficulty is now knowing what a typical cost may be for sorting this, if it's £2k or £20k :unsure:

Attachments

• 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    388.9 KB · Views: 97
Mmm. Not an expert but cost & work required will depend on how much damage has been done to the timbers (assuming it is dry rot, that was a handy link from @JohnD .
Def cause for concern, worst case would be full reroof & possibly new joists for the ceiling below. Need a conversation with the vendors (are they prepared to accept a reduced offer if it turns out to be a problem) and see how much it'll cost you to get the roof surveyed by someone who knows timber (not sure a structural survey would be suitable, they'll just tell you to get an expert report)

Pictures are not great ,
The red dust is probably from the tiles.
I've seen nothing to suggest dry rot.
If you rub the red dust between your fingers you should see it's clay dust . This could mean the tiles have started to fail.
Dry rot is not just limited to spreading through timbers , it can spread through the walls over many floors not just the roof
We have worked on large building where the dry rot work has cost 100s of thousands

Agreed the pictures aren't great - unfortunatly I didn't get any better ones.

Hopefully large building costing £100s of thousands isn't about 140sqm... :unsure:

The dust does look consistent with the tiles, but the area at the gable end with blackened wood with white patches does worry me a little bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back