Is this plumbing repair going to cause future problems!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the third time, (it's a long story - and not my fault!!) I had the same leak in my hallway CH pipework, - which is buried in the concrete floor :( :( :cry:

A few months before this I opened an account with Homeserve :)?:) and they sent someone to repair the problem; and he decided to relace most of the pipework he'd exposed. However he used PTFE pipe and brass compression fittings to effect the repair and there was a routing issue. One pipe had to go over the other and, as it was short distance and he didn't want to use several bends, to resolve this he used a reducer to go from 22mm to 15mm and then a second one to go back from 15mm to 22mm.

The CH seems to be working ok but my question is, as this narrowing has been put in the main supply pipe is this going to cause any problems in future. The floor has been lifted three times now and I'm loathe to have this concreted over again and the floor made good, just to have it lifted again at a later date. :evil:

Oh and before anyone says, I've thought of having a trap door fitted ready for next time!!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
he may have used compressions as he couldn't dry the pipe out to solder it, but it's bad practice, and i wouldn't concrete it over.

22mm to 15mm to 22mm - could he not have formed a crossover in 22? it's like having a crushed pipe in the system..........

It certainly wont help.

Are you perchance in a village with a pub called 'The Sportmans'

Mr. W.

The sportsman`s what :confused: answers on a postcard. Poly pipe ( not ptfe) Speedfit or Hep 2 O - then it needs to be barrier pipe and there need to be inserts in the ends where the brass fittings are . So who knows if it`s done right or not :cry:

Sponsored Links
The sportsman`s what :confused: answers on a postcard. Poly pipe ( not ptfe) Speedfit or Hep 2 O - then it needs to be barrier pipe and there need to be inserts in the ends where the brass fittings are . So who knows if it`s done right or not :cry:

If the OP comes back, he may be able to answer. Its a pub in a village in North Bucks - a place about 2 miles from where I reside.

Mr. W.

Is that the Jolly Sportsman in Chesham ? Hardly just a village though!

he may have used compressions as he couldn't dry the pipe out to solder it, but it's bad practice, and i wouldn't concrete it over.

22mm to 15mm to 22mm - could he not have formed a crossover in 22? it's like having a crushed pipe in the system..........

Thanks for you answers guys.

It's still open to hallway at the moment and I'm still loathe to concrete over it. :confused: He did put metal inserts in the ends of the Poly pipe so I don't think that's a problem, I'm mainly concerned about whether it could cause any problems in future. :!: :!:

Yes it is a small village in North Bucks but No it doesn't have a pub called the Sportsman. The end I'm in has a pub called the Globe and it recently became infamous. Not quite Midsummer country but the result was the same. Very Nasty :( :(

:cool:

Sounds like Chalfont! That brings back memories for me of Aerial Facilities at Latimer and they infamous ( late ) MD Gerald David.

It seems you have burried copper pipes and plastic pipe used as a repair length.

I suggest you fille the lower part with polystyrene pellets over the pipes and then concrete over that so that its easy to get at again and the pipes are not movement restricted.

Copper pipes should never be burried directly in concrete.

Tony

Not Chalfont - unless Chalfont has moved to halfway between Northampton and Milton Keynes :p .

Thanks Agile. So as long as it's covered you think it's probably ok to concrete it in then?

:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back