Is this possible please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two, 2 gang 2 way switches in my living room so I can switch either light on or off from any side of the room. Is it possible to change one of the 2 gang switches for a 3 gang 2 way switch and use the extra switch to operate a light in a conservatory on a 1 way connection? If it is possible could someone tell me how it is connected please?
My connections so far are. (Switch 1-Com Red/L1 Yellow/L2 Blue) (Switch 2-Com Red/L1 Yellow&Red L2 Blue&Red) Switch 3 is free for the conservatory light.
Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Many Thanks.
Brian.

Sponsored Links
yes.
look in the refernce section and identify which of the several popular sorts of 2-way switching you have, and remember the electrons don't care about the colours - there is no reason why a previous sparks should have followed any particular convention!
If in doubt print off the referece circuits.
Then noting exactly what you have, perhaps even taking a few pics, so you can get back to the original if there are problems, proceed as below
(Then transcribe the existing wiring from the two switches onto the first 2 switches of the bank of three. - sounds like this has laready been done successfully)
Note that at the switch there is no neutral, only live and switched live, so the supply must be looped from fitting to fitting. Look in the ceiling rose to see if you can find the 'always live' and neutral terminals you will need to supply the conservatory. If its not there you will need to look for junction boxes in the lighting wiring instead, or run a new wire back to the lighting circuit fuse or breaker at the board.
Add your new switch wire to the new, unused switch (between com and L1)
and route this wire, and the new L-N feed from either a rose or a junction box to your new light and wire in as per the loop-in example in the reference section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back