Is this radiator faulty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought this radiator some time ago but only fitted it a few weeks ago.
The problem is that it leaks from one of the connections into the rad.
I have tried three time now to fix it but it still leaks.
There is now a bubble in the paint work that you can see in the photo.
I have used plently of PTFE tape (is it possible to put too much on?) and carefully screwed it in being mindful not to cross the threads. There is a washer on each connection where I have swapped the washers over just to see if it starts leaking from the other connection but it does not.

2016-04-26-07-21-17-jpg.97967

Is there anything else I can or should try such as using Fernox LS-X?

Thank you and hope you can help.http://www.screwfix.com/p/fernox-ls-x-leak-sealer-50ml/23614

Attachments

• 2016-04-26 07.21.17.jpg
    2016-04-26 07.21.17.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 642
Sponsored Links
If LS-X will not fix it nothing will. It should not need a washer on the tapered thread.
Just possible you have a pin hole in the rad if bubbling already though.

Sponsored Links
Okay, thanks guys.

I'll try one more time with LS-X (although Loctite 55 looks interesting as well - might give that a go!), then if no joy, pull the paint off to see if there is a pinhole.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks guys.

I'll try one more time with LS-X (although Loctite 55 looks interesting as well - might give that a go!), then if no joy, pull the paint off to see if there is a pinhole.
Once you've used Loctite 55 you'll never use PTFE again.
Jeff

Its not the threads its a pinhole! Take the rad back, even if you could seal it you wouldnt want a new installed rad with bubbled paint and rust!

the rad is only going to cause trouble ahead in future just take it back not fit for purpose.

If LS-X will not fix it nothing will. It should not need a washer on the tapered thread.
Just possible you have a pin hole in the rad if bubbling already though.
Might be alright for rainwater but utterly useless otherwise. Pressure finds it way through this product in no time.
Jeff

Why do you say that Jeff? I have to say it has never let me down on a thread or comp joint, true just splodging it on the outside of a pin hole is a bit hit or miss. Any time I have done a temp repair like that I use some rag as a bandage to reinforce the "temp bodge".;)

Defective rad. To prove this you could take it off. Charge it with air using a pump and use gas leak detector spray or washing up liquid to locate the source.

Or just send it back :sneaky:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back