Is this repairable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I'm considering buying this property which is otherwise very tidy, but as you can see in the photos the roof is sagging considerably along the Ridgeline and you can see it in the rafters and under purlins too. The attic has been converted badly at some point in the past and i think work done then may have contributed to the sink, you can see where the tongue and groove cladding around the under purlins has spread very slightly since the work was done. Oddly enough, on most of these streets of terraces usually you can see the houses that have had roof work done and the ones that haven't, but all the houses on this street seem to have the same sag and none with new arrow straight roofs. If it was a lower priced area this would make sense but its not especially. Am i overthinking this?

Obviously a professional opinion would be ideal but getting a quote this side of christmas now is proving difficult, anyone with any experience of these victorian terraces like to voice there opinion?

Is it a roof off and replace the lot job or would slowly jacking the whole lot up and bracing it work?

Obviously pics inside would have been useful but i forgot!

Cheers, Josh

Attachments

• IMG_5658.jpg
    IMG_5658.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5661.jpg
    IMG_5661.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_5659.jpg
    IMG_5659.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 152
Sponsored Links
Purlins could have been undersized in the first place and adding extra weight to the attic won't help, stripping the roof back is going to be the easiest option if you want to straighten the roof.

If all the local roofs sag like this, and none are new and perfectly straight (indicating that they have been rebuilt after collapsing) then thats a good sign that its all normal

Surprised its sagged that much with just a slate roof with purlins? spread?
Jacking up isn't as simple as it sounds. there is ridge and rafter feet need to be considered..

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help.

Ill just have to see what the survey comes back with. If its a new roof job the sellers will just have to take the hit i think, i can't see that roof lasting much longer without causing problems. In replacing a roof such as this do modern building regs require a redesign or is it a case of replacing whats there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back