Is this rubble in my victorian floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of refurbishing a victorian house, I have checked in 3 places across the house, there is about 150mm of rubble with a black almost volcanic (or coal??) and concrete-like consistency, it is almost light weight. This is the most obvious one in front of the fireplace.

In the staircase it is more rubble-like but whoever put it in went through the effort of battening and planking out between the floor joists to create a false pocket to fill the void.

Does anybody know what this is?

Apologies for the rotation!

View media item 92001 View media item 92002 View media item 92003

Sponsored Links
in front of the fireplaces it is a non-structural hearth of lightweight concrete, which probably used to be tiled, to reduce the risk of the house burning down when hot coals fall out of the fireplace.

Under the stairs it will be an attempt to reduce noise.

You could use dense mineral wool batts under the floor to reduce airbourne noise transmission, also carpet and underfelt on the stairs. Victorian houses will not have had fitted carpets or thick carpeting, or rubber-soled shoes, so were noisy.

Ok hmm.. I will have to remove it all to get my interstitial insulation and underfloor heating pipes in!

Sponsored Links
I will be putting back the same and more. I dont believe in this day and age anyone would specify "rubble" for any kind of insulation!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back