Is This Woodworm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased a hardwood bench form b&Q last week and made it up and started to put some sadolin protection on it this evening.

On one of the pieces of wood I can see some small holes.

Could these be woodworm or just imperfections?

I have had the bench sitting on my uncovered wooden floor all week so I hope its no a worm.

Pics Attached

View media item 13570 View media item 13569

Sponsored Links
if it is then as it looks like its varnished i wouldnt worry about it,it may be a bark borer and when they have done the conversion of the log theyve used everything possible,so that piece of timber may of been close to the bark,but with the glare from the pics its a bit hard to really tell.

I varnished it with sadolin garden furniture protector thats when I noticed it.
One of the tiny holes goes right through to the other end which is approx 20mm deep.
Its been in the house for a week unvarnised if it is wood worm could it have invested my floor timbers as all my carpet is currently up.

Any Other thoughts on this?

As its brand new from B&Q surly it should not have worm.

They look too rough to be insect holes. Just take them back and get fresh ones.

Sponsored Links
Whatever they are they'e not woodworm. They might be holes left by woodworm when they burrowed out and took flight. But they're not woodworm. If that's what they are it most likely happened a long time ago. You won't know if there are any worm remaining until they also burrow out and take flight. That will be in the Spring.

I often have to tell people they've had a nasty infestation of worm in their lofts. About a hundred years ago.

So it should not have infected my house then as the bench was built in my living room and stayed there for a few weeks before I varnished it at the weekend.

Thanks

If you have timber in your house that is susceptible to woodworm (ie slightly damp, unventilated, untreated), they will find a way in, whether you bring them in or not.

looks like your house will fall down now.all that damage caused by about 10 worm holes :LOL: ,
if you were to closly inspect your attic or lift a few floorboards you will probably spot a few worm holes any way,personally i wouldnt worry about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back