is water under the floor normal and okay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, I have a 1930s semi. When it rains and the water table rises the underfloor fills with water - about 3-6 inches. The gap underfloor from ground to joist is around 2-3 foot. There has been woodworm and rot in some of the floorboards due to a leaking washer not the watertable which have now been replaced and sprayed.

I have been told by a builder that the floorspace needs to be filled with cement to stop the water. Is this necessary as I'm sur it has been like that since the 30s and I can't really afford a cement floor.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, its common esp in houses on hillsides or slopes, even a gentle slope.

Perhaps try and prevent the water from entering the sub-area by using a French drain(s), or by a little landscaping.

Adequate ventilation - air bricks will help.

Pouring a 100mm concrete oversite might work or the water might still find a way through. To physically get the concrete under the floor and work it, would be quite a job.

Or, did the builder mean that you replace the wood suspended floor(s) with a solid concrete floor(s)? This option could have knock-on effects.

Many ventilate, keep an eye on things and live with it.

Yes, its common esp in houses on hillsides or slopes, even a gentle slope.

Many ventilate, keep an eye on things and live with it.
Exactly what I`ve had to do on our bungalow :rolleyes: and we had the woodworm in 1 room - 1960 build . But considering the wet winter we`ve had ;) replaced airbricks with plastic ones and added more

You should check out my situation. Very similar.

We have some sort of water way passing under our house so water seeps into the subfloor. It's 1mtr from joist to floor. We have a sump pump fitted & our room suffers badly from damp because of the water.

I also had the solid floor suggestion. Problem is, that water will have to go somewhere & from what i read, unless it's done properly this could force it up your walls. Even if it is done properly, it still has to go SOMEWHERE. It doesn't just stop.

We were advised against it & told to manage the situation instead.
Nige F";p="3111073 said:
replaced airbricks with plastic ones and added more
Out of curiosity, what's the advantages/disadvantages of plastic ones?

Sponsored Links
Plastic allow more air through. Not sure if the OP means a concrete floor, or a concrete oversite.
Nowadays a concrete oversite should be higher than the external ground level and at least 150mm below the bottom of the joists.

Plastic allow more air through. Not sure if the OP means a concrete floor, or a concrete oversite.
Nowadays a concrete oversite should be higher than the external ground level and at least 150mm below the bottom of the joists.

Yes the builder was meaning a concrete oversite just to fill above the water table. But I'd rather manage it as and when.

Thanks All for your help.
I'm happy to live with this now that I know it's normal. A sump pump may be useful (I have one in the back garden and it performs very well) and increasing the air bricks is a great idea too.
cheers
Beany

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back