Isolate circuit or disconnect all power when changing sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in a modern house with new electrics. I was working on a socket and moved the circuit breaker to off before starting on that particular ring. However the RCD tripped, I guess because I bridged earth and neutral when cutting the wire.

So what should I have done, flick the big switch on the consumer unit to remove all power to the house, or is just isolating the circuit as I did sound ?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Proper procedure is to disconnect both the line and the neutral, so opening the main switch or the RCD will isolate them both.

In practice, most people will just isolate the fuse/MCB as it’s not always practical to isolate them both, and people are lazy (y)

You’re likely fine just isolating the MCB, but I can’t recommend it, as the neutral can become live if there’s a fault.

Proper procedure is to disconnect both the line and the neutral, so opening the main switch or the RCD will isolate them both.

In practice, most people will just isolate the fuse/MCB as it’s not always practical to isolate them both, and people are lazy (y)

You’re likely fine just isolating the MCB, but I can’t recommend it, as the neutral can become live if there’s a fault.

Appreciate the swift reply. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Also check the power is actually off at every point you work on, just because the first 3 sockets in a room were dead, doesn't mean the fourth one will be.
Quite! Once did a test on a house that had 3 socket circuits per room. Was done for redundancy when the place was wired by all accounts. Made for hard testing!

As you've discovered, with only the MCB off you'll trip the RCD when you short N & E.

And there's a good chance you'll do that again when fiddling with the new sockets.

I usually turn off the MCB, disconnect the l and n at the cu and secure them. I'm going to need them disconnected anyway in order to do the ir testing later so it's no hassle. Reduces the chance of anything becoming live while I'm working too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back