Issues with installing rimless toilets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm aware of someone who is considering having a plumber install a rimless toilet. Are there any known problems with regards to installing these i.e. specific to this toilet type?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Relatively new mainstream concept albeit the design has been about for quite a time. With anything new like this though only time will tell if they are suitable or not.

The one question I was asked by someone just into a new build, that has them fitted, none of them (3) flush all the way around the bowl and whether that is their design or not as they only wash 3/4's of the pan, the front 1/4 of the pan doesn't get washed. Not having used them yet I couldn't say whether it was the norm or not but it kinda makes sense, given gravity is an active participant.

Out of curiosity - what is a rimless toilet? On the web it doesn't look any different from a traditional one, apart from modern styling.

Sponsored Links
Out of curiosity - what is a rimless toilet? On the web it doesn't look any different from a traditional one, apart from modern styling.
It doesn't have a overhanging flush rim all around the inside of the pan where normally it's a moulded section with holes/a rail to carry the flush water all around the pan, it only has a diverter piece at the back of the pan.

158696.jpg

They say they are meant to be more hygienic but the 3 I've seen don't flush the whole pan, it misses some of the top/front section and TBH normal rimmed toilets just need cleaned properly :unsure:

Last edited:
It doesn't have a overhanging flush rim all around the inside of the pan where normally it's a moulded section with holes/a rail to carry the flush water all around the pan, it only has a diverter piece at the back of the pan.

158696.jpg

They say they are meant to be more hygienic but the 3 I've seen don't flush the whole pan, it misses some of the top/front section and TBH normal rimmed toilets just need cleaned properly :unsure:
OK thanks. That looks more convincing. The one I found, below, described as rimless, but looks like a traditional. Maybe it's the way the pic's taken.

1686575423174.png

They should flush all round the pan. The ones I've used in hotels and even public toilets do so. So does the one I've installed myself recently.

They can over-flow over the front edge when flushed if the water level / height of flush tank is excessive so the makers provide a toothed flow-reducing washer to fit at the end of the flush pipe (ie at the toilet) that needs bits removed until the flush is correct. I found it was OK without the reducer (just).
Other brands may do it differently?

OK thanks. That looks more convincing. The one I found, below, described as rimless, but looks like a traditional. Maybe it's the way the pic's taken.

View attachment 305801

That looks like my downstairs toilet - RAK Resort?

There's no hollow channel around the rim where the water flows - there's just a slight overhang that the water is propelled around before falling into the bowl. Works well.

Upstairs I have an Ideal Standard Connect Air which uses their 'Aquablade' system more akin to a normal rimmed toilet. No real difference in 'performance' between them tbh.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back