It's so expensive to move a BT Master socket!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have needed to move (or shift as BT like to call it) my main master BT socket from my front room window to a side room. I am renovating the house and need it in a better location.

Also the cable coming off the pole is connected to the facia board on the house which needs replacing and the cable from there to the master socket is a rusty old cable (not good for broadband).

Anyway, the cost is £133.52 inc!!! I know, you will (some of you) say to just re-connect myself but I thought it wise to get it done by BT - after all it is their equipment until my side of the master socket.

Jono.

Sponsored Links
Well you aren't supposed to touch the BT wiring, but if it is just a single master socket there will only be two wires to connect. ;) The condition of the 'lead in' is unlikely to affect adsl.

if you do this try to avoid anything identifiable as non-bt, that means using 3 pair (6 core) BT spec cable (CW1308 for internal CW1308B for external BT don't use 2 pair) and if at all possible trying to avoid any joints other than existing BT (or GPO if its a very old installation) marked junction boxes.

Is just leaving it there and ptting an extension socket where you'd rather it was, an option?

Sponsored Links
I moved my BT master socket myself, from the living room downstairs to upstairs room.

If BT ever moan that it's been moved, i will just say that's how it was when i moved in :LOL:

Tell them if they won't move it you will goto cable, that might work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back