I've got 46 volts between black wire and earth

well tell me in plain english. I went to change a switch which isn't unreasonable. I phoned an electrician too who in his own words 'talked himself out a job' by telling me to simply copy the original layout even though I explained the voltages didn't seem right. I've come on to ask advice as it didn't seem right even though the light works.

Sponsored Links
The missing earth at the switch is a concern, but not as much as you replacing it while still live. We do not support suicide on this forum.

ok I just tried the switch - the small box with the old fuse does indeed isolate the circuit :confused: Lesson learned.

I will now leave alone - but I am basically needing an electrician to sort out the earth is that right? Is it worth me checking the earth wire in ceiling rose?

Don't try this if you don't feel safe.

How do you know you have a neutral at the switch?
What are you connecting to that is neutral?
Post a pic of the switch wiring.

Does the metal back box have an earth wire?

Sponsored Links
there are 2 cables. One has red, black and earth. The other has red, blue, yellow and earth and links to the 2nd switch. Yes the earths at both switches are attached to metal back box.

I will post pic shortly its difficult as I am on a tablet not proper computer.

here. Yes I first noticed the neon light up which is why I started checking with a voltmeter. I got the stated voltages when I checked between black and earth and red and earth on the incoming cable.

sorry hard to get pic on iphone there are some shadows in above pic

Was your meter Set to ac or dc

There is no neutral at the switch.

I think I'm beginning to agree with your electrician but if the metal is live then its not right.

with switch connected and light on I get:
between yellow / ground 33v
between reds / ground 33v
between blue&black / ground 33v

with light off I get

between yellow / ground 89v
between red / ground 89v
between blue&black / ground 65v

perhaps there is no problem but can someone tell me how to check 100%the earth is not live as mow I'm worried.

edit sorry I wrote it wrong

red and yellow together, black and blue together, link cable red on its own.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back