2-way hallway switches have 120v & 50v

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi in my hallway there are two switches so the light can be operated from either end. I will add pics shortly. But with all the wires separated, there is 120v between live and neutral, and 50v between live and earth. I have not looked inside the ceiling rose yet.

what could cause this?

also, (sigh) the building is converted into 3 flats. None of our individual consumer units will cut power to this communal hallway (we've tried all breakers), so I can't turn the power to the light off! Was converted in about 1970 I think. Am I missing something obvious? Or was it a bodge job from way-back-when?

Sponsored Links
The supply will almost certainly be from a landlord's meter as it is a communal area.

The landlord is the person or company that owns the freehold of the building. This may be a managment committee formed from the owners of the flats. If it is then they should know where the meter and fuses for the communal services are located.

Unless you are working with the landord's permission you should not be touching the electrics in the communal area. If some one has an accident because the lights were not working when needed then you will be responsible and could be sued for damages and / or injuries.

The voltages you are measuring are the result on capacitive coupling.

Have you checked for voltage between neutral and earth? I'm wondering whether (it being a communal space) the landlord has stuck a centretapped transformer to feed that circuit (so using 110v bulbs so if the tenants nick them they'll just go poof!).Actually backing up, is this a warehouse or factory conversion of some sort?

And why (if you're a tenant) aren't you on the phone to the landlord going 'Oy, fix this'?

sorry to be clear I own the middle flat and the chap upstairs owns that flat. The basement flat has its own separate front door etc ie is not part of this communal hallway, only us two are. It is a large victorian type house built circa 1900. I will get an electrician in. The reason I found it is because the time-delay switch had stopped working and when I checked the back of it was burnt out. I was simply going to replace it. The three large electric meters(?) are all in this main hallway in a cupboard, but go off to separate CU in each flat.
thanks

Sponsored Links
And why (if you're a tenant) aren't you on the phone to the landlord going 'Oy, fix this'?
That's common. It'll be in the leasehold that the leaseholders pay all costs.
So when a repair is needed there are two options :
1) The leaseholders club together and get it done - choosing supplies and trades so as to manage costs.
2) They ask the freeholder to do it, who might eventually get round to it, will then will get in their preferred supplier (with cost not a consideration), and finally add their own markup before passing the bill on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back