2 way 2 gang diagram help!?

Sponsored Links
I mean no - if the OP is too lazy to post photos properly, I'm not going to go to the trouble of looking for them.

What do you mean?

There's two photos of his switch wiring on his profile?

You mean Yes.
No he MEANS No - because it hasn't been put up on the post by the OP. - well he has answered that bit - now wait for the next bit.

BAS doesn't believe in helping people on this website.
No doubt he will now shout and ball about me uploading the photographs for the OP.

It's no trouble really, in the great scheme of things.

Perhaps he's not lazy, just not sure how to post the pics.

Go on,

have a look.

Sponsored Links
Not the best photographs (see op profile) but it looks like there is no neutal at the switch, or within the switch cables.

Therefore you need to find somewhere else to get a permanent live, neutral and earth.

If the ceiling wiring is out of the question, consider feeding the new light from the socket circuit, via a fused spur unit (3 or 5 amp).

Thanks for comments.
No, I can not access (nor see) the junction box.
Yes, I have found another wire incoming with live, neutral and earth (i know this time!). This one actually used to power another wall light and is terminated in a junction box currently. Could I connect the neutral from my new 2-way circuit to the neutral in this junction box perhaps? sry for ignorance here by the way..

The existing switch will have a permanent live, and you have found a neutral.

Sounds do-able, BUT YOU MUST BE CERTAIN THESE ARE ALL ON THE SAME CIRCUIT. Isolate one of these lights at the mains by operating one circuit breaker or fuse, and check if the other light goes off too.

Not the best photographs (see op profile) but it looks like there is no neutal at the switch, or within the switch cables.

Therefore you need to find somewhere else to get a permanent live, neutral and earth.

If the ceiling wiring is out of the question, consider feeding the new light from the socket circuit, via a fused spur unit (3 or 5 amp).

Thanks for comments.
No, I can not access (nor see) the junction box.
Yes, I have found another wire incoming with live, neutral and earth (i know this time!). This one actually used to power another wall light and is terminated in a junction box currently. Could I connect the neutral from my new 2-way circuit to the neutral in this junction box perhaps? sry for ignorance here by the way..

Also, sorry for not correctly uploading photos..tried to "show my images", but clearly incorrect..

My slow answering here is just since I am switching on and off power when digging around the cables..

Just noticed where you found the neutral, the light fitting has been removed, so you may have to test with a voltage meter, or even connect a light to the cable for now (make sure the power is off before you do any work).

Just noticed where you found the neutral, the light fitting has been removed, so you may have to test with a voltage meter, or even connect a light to the cable for now (make sure the power is off before you do any work).

Hi, thanks, yes I turned off the power and connected a spare lamp. Not very lucky I guess since the cable with live, neutral & earth is on a separate circuit (at switchboard) from the 2-way,2-gang circuit..any chance then or all hope lost?

BAS doesn't believe in helping people on this website. No doubt he will now shout and ball about me uploading the photographs for the OP.
I doubt it - if he behaves anything like last time, he'll just continue to stubbornly refuse to acknowledge that the photos even exist, even after you have put them into a forum message for the OP. I despair!

Kind Regards, John

Hi, thanks, yes I turned off the power and connected a spare lamp. Not very lucky I guess since the cable with live, neutral & earth is on a separate circuit (at switchboard) from the 2-way,2-gang circuit..any chance then or all hope lost?

Perhaps both circuits could be lumped together at the fuseboard.

Are they both lighting circuits?

If so, how many lights on each circuit?

Are there other lighting circuits besides the two circuits in question?

Perhaps both circuits could be lumped together at the fuseboard. Yes, perhaps I could - although I never touched the fuseboard, but perhaps easy enough with wires sticking out below etc.

Are they both lighting circuits? Yes.

If so, how many lights on each circuit?
- 1 on the cable terminated in junction box..therefore quite unlucky i thought.
- 20 on the one where new 2-way,2-gang will be (if successful). 15 of these are led downlights though in livingroom/kitchen.

Are there other lighting circuits besides the two circuits in question?
Yes. We seem to have one circuit for each floor in house, so there is one other for next floor up. That one has 10 lights as well perhaps - in 6 rooms.

thanks,

It would seem the two circuits could be made into one at the fuseboard, not necessarily a DIY job.

Are both the lighting circuits in question 5 (or 6) amp at the fuseboard?

It would seem the two circuits could be made into one at the fuseboard, not necessarily a DIY job.

Are both the lighting circuits in question 5 (or 6) amp at the fuseboard?

Hi there, Sry I had to go for dinner yesterday so had to give up without a light..I took 3 pictures of the fuseboard now and uploaded since I don't really know what amp they are at fuseboard..can you see from there? (it says C6, 30mA etc for "Lights 2nd Floor" which is the circuit I want to put the 2-way, 2-gang onto, but this terminology is unknown to me..). The other relevant circuit is named "Light downstairs" Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back